Libert 1036 Hi Speed Nibbler

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Libert 1036 Hi Speed Nibbler

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Saw a LARGEISH High Speed Nibbler today. Came from the Navy. BIG and HEAVY. Not really out of the question for a home shop. I bet the thing weight 1500-2000lbs. Foot print was about 3'x4'. I think it was a model 1036. Anyone know anything about them? Could be had pretty cheap. Looked very simple. Seemed to have a foot pedal to operate it....Jacin? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
oldgoaly

Re: Libert 1036 Hi Speed Nibbler

Post by oldgoaly »

Marty,
The libert is a good shear, but the tooling holders and its limited throat
turn alot of people away from using this machine for other things
like beading, joggling planishing, etc..

tt
clueless near stlouis
clueless near st.louis
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Thanks, it would be for home shop stuff. I still haven't bought it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Its complete, single phase, needs cleaning has been sitting outside. I would imagine I would have to build the tooling for it to do planishing etc

Jacin, should I buy this machine? $100 and its local. At this point I'm not sure what aspect of sheetmetalwork I want to attempt.

As the Libert is, would it be safe to assume it was used for shearing sheetmetal free hand for curves? What is its max gauge capacity?

Marty
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Marty, Asking me whether or not to buy a tool is like asking a chain smoker if he needs a light.
So I say YES!!!! <grin>
I'm not familiar with a Liberty but I am assuming it is similar to a Pullmax or a Trumpf etc.
My teeny tiny BABY BIBBLER (Mfg by Nibbler Factory) will shear .156" Mild steel - so I would guess the one your talking about would sing through 1/4" with out a problem. You can go to SMV website http://www.smv.se/en/produkter/NIBBLER.HTML
and see if we are talking apples and apples. If so I would JUMP at a similar machine to any shown there. Tooling of course is outrageous but I am sure you would make your own. I have some pics of various tooling and am getting more.

With all that said ONE certianly does NOT need these machines to form metal. A good bad (or hunk of urethane) and a couple of hammers is ALL you need to start. But I am a wuss and after a while I start to feel them joints aching so I have leaned towards power assistance. Still I do most of my stuff by hand and do very littel with the power tools - mostly because they will allow you to go FAST - in my case fast sometimes means FAST MISTAKES and resulting junk [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Still I am a tool junky and for $100 that'setty much a no brainer for me. AS long as you have the room!!! COuld you post a pic? I did a quicky web search and came up empty handed.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Here is a picture of a very similar machine. In fact the one I am looking at and this one appear nearly identical.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Tis a sweetie!!! Only difference I see is that it is all cast where as the others were fabricated out of plate. Some sheetmetal workers prefer the plate construction as they can be modified to have Deeper Throats.

The few guys I have talked to don't think the variable stroke settings are all that critical for metal forming operations.

At $100 I can't see how you can go wrong.

Basically all these nibblers do the same thing. VIBRATE!! Even if you use this as a shear it is one mean toy [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Jacin, one fellow on the metalshaper group mentioned he was going to make PULLMAX tooling for his.

Aside from being a shear, and knowing what you know, what other possibilities does this machine have?

Marty
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

You name it, Shearing, Piercing, planishing, doming, beading, flanging, wiring, offsets, hems ---pretty much sky's the limit so long as you can dream up the tool (and of course fab it)
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Well then, I guess this machine would be a good one for the home shop and as I gan the experience and knowledge, I can make up the tooling.
pushed a little closer to buying....
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Marty,
the price sounds good, it is easy to make tooling for it. just get some stock the
same size as the cutters. then on small things you can grind in the contour, larger
peice can be welded to the stock and form to just about any shape. even plastic works, heat treat them if you want them to last a lifetime, plain old C.R. will last a long time if it has no sharp corners. the trouble you will run into will be the pc of
metal you are forming will hit the frame. i have a P7 pullmax and it has more clearance but still i get things stuck. for some pics of my tooling and things, go to
the metalshapers website on yahoogroups, in the files are lots of pullmax tooling,
even a short video of my boy running the pullmax forming and planishing his scooter fender, which is in his room somewhere(looks like fibber mcgee's closet!)

good luck on the machine

tt
clueless near st.louis
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

Hi Marty,
I've had some of those Libert Shears that model come and go in my shop. You can't go wrong for the asking price. The 10, in model 1036, denotes a capacity of 10 ga. mild steel and the 36 is the throat depth. I'm going to go upstairs and look tomorrow to see if I have an literature copies left for that machine for you.

It's important to keep the eccentric cam oiled well and frequent. I would caution you that if used with shop made tooling for metal forming that you be sure and have the stroke adjustment set high enough that it doesn't 'hammer' itself too bad. These machines worked fine for their intended purpose of shearing but as you can see, they are not built heavy enough in the eccentric area to constantly be bottoming out on a stroke excessively. Take the older Pullmax machines as an example. They ran in oil and it would be a rare used one that didn't need the bushings changed in it to eliminate the knock from wear. The Libert has a wonderful, robust casting but nothing extra in the rotating assembly IMHO.

Hope you get the machine, you can have some fun with it and can always make money on it if you decide to sell it.
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

I am shocked the capacity i sonly 10 ga.. My little dinky Baby Nibbler will go .156" and that Liberty looks WAY beefier. Of course you go too far with a casting and it's all over. My nibbler is steel frame - they must allow a fair amount of flex (I guess)
Would you know the Stroke and Bpm ?