Quickie Valentine's Day Project

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Jacin

Quickie Valentine's Day Project

Post by Jacin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:23 pm

I was too lazy to drive up to the store for a V-Day card for the wife and instead retreated to the garage. I think this will be remembered far longer than a 3 dollar card!

I made one out of brass and another out of copper - the copper is a little easier to work with. I saw these last year on the metalshapers site and made one for Grandma - the other ladies in my life ALL wanted one !!!! I am getting MUCH FASTER at making them now!!!

I did one last night and another this morning maybe an hour or so apiece. Not sure I wasn't watching the clock. They're REAL easy to make!!!

Jacin

Re: Quickie Valentine's Day Project

Post by Jacin » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:25 pm

Here's the pair

Doug_C

Post by Doug_C » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:23 pm

Scoring points from a store is rather commercial, but scoring points while you work in the shop, adds credibility to the need for all that equipment! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Your appreciation for talent shows through the meaning behind the gift. That should be a double score of points in any book! Nice work Jacin.

DC

xray

Post by xray » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:12 am

That is pretty damn cool-so how easy are they? Or more exactly how do you do it?
Thanks

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:07 am

Looks like a good use for offcuts (the corners from when you've cut out circlular shapes)...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)

Jacin

Post by Jacin » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:42 pm

Hi PlanetX,

Sorry it took so long to reply to this [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img]

These are CAKE to make!!! I made one a year or so back and I am EMBARASSED [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img] to say how long it took!!!

But these here were cake - you can use anything for the stem - I've used welding rod (brass) or copper tubing (oil line) or plain old copper wire - electrical solid.

The actual petals are cut out in clusters 4 of 5 - think of them like a 4 or 5 leaf clover - you cut these out and pierce/punch the center with a hole just big enough for the stem. These here used 4 layers of petal (or clusters) - each layer being slightly larger in rough diameter than the other.

I anneal the metal - prior to cutting because it makes it easier to cut/bend. Once cut (and with the center hole) you can bend them by hand - just fold them up - they will be flat and not so great looking, but once they're roughed out you then take them and hammer them (you might also find prehammering them prior to folding up is also a help - personal preference really) anyways once they are folded up you smooth out the shape - I do this by hammering them over a hunk of stock with a radiused end (say 1 to 1-1/2" diameter with a full radius one the end) it doesn;t take much hammering.

Do each cluster this way making sure you can still place each layer into the next. I then take the "stem" and heat up the end - once hot I pound it into a sort of blob - basically a nail's head - you could just fold it over if you'd like (but it's nicer if you hammer it -just in case someone sneaks a peek inside)
You then slide each layer on. I have just starting putting a dab of silicon between the layers - this is a "ANTI RATTLE" feature.
The LAST set of petal need to look the best - so use the previous ones to learn how to get the right shape.

Lastly cap off the bottom with the "leafy" star and either add a dab of silcon (inside) or a dab of solder.

The leaves are roughed out with tin snips - I then notch them for effect - (they look fine without the notches) - I take a thin welding rod and run it down the center of the leaf - bend it some to give anatural radius - I then hammer the rod into the petal for the center depression. I then take a flat punch and hammer each "vein" into the leaves - I hammer this against a hunk of urethane also - it makes the impression kinda deep but don;t sweat that - when all these depressions are in and your leaf is a bit mangled - I then take a medium crown hammer and flatten it back out - you loose soem definition but it actually makes it look more delicate.

I then solder the leaves on - PRESTO!!!! You have a brass or copper ROSE!!! The lady folk REALLY go for these!!!!!

Well that's my story and I'm stickin' wth it!!!!

There may be easier ways bu this is how I do mine so far!!

Good luck and please post a pic if you decide to make one!

Jacin

xray

Post by xray » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:13 pm

Ok, here is my first go at a steel flower. No time for any welding so the 'petals' are secured with a sheetmetal screw hidden inside the flower.

Thanks for the idea-Jancin. My wife loved it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Jacin

Post by Jacin » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:10 am

PlanetX, You are quite welcome - I wish I could take credit for the Idea, but I am just passing it along from seeing it somewhere else - namely Metalshapers on Yahoo - you can also see it on the Metalmeet.com site.

Yours is the first one I have seen out of steel - VERY VERY nice indeed!!!!

It's one of those great "bang for the buck" projects - since the "little ladies" always seem to love handcrafted stuff - and a fella can almost never miss with a rose - even a metal one.

Hmnn maybe we can even get ole Hackasaw to make one too!!! <grin>

Thanks for sharing your pic!!!!!