Question about what sliprolls will do

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Question about what sliprolls will do

Post by gwrdriver »

I have an 12" long piece of 6" copper pipe (.140" wall) which needs to be turned (using a fixed steady rest). This was cut from the end of a long tube and I discovered that at some point the full tube was dropped (or maybe just bumped) and there is a shallow flat area on one end making that end sort of egg-shaped. If this tube is put through a few turns in a sliproll will they take out that flat and return the tube to reasonably round?
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Jacin

Re: Question about what sliprolls will do

Post by Jacin »

I would go ahead and just try it - thinking you sure can't hurt it much. I would consider annealing it if it doesn't work the first time. If that doesn't work you might consider cold working it on a shot bag to get the majority of it in the right place and then fine tune it on a slip roll.

Then of course there's always the SPINNING approach!!!! That's some WILD stuff - I've done a wee tiny bit of that and it's just plain cool to watch!!

Let us know!!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Re: Question about what sliprolls will do

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

You might also try turning a piece of hardwood or delrin to the the id of the tube and pressing it thru. It should probably be a couple inches thick to prevent cocking, so you can screw several pieces together. A little lead will ease the way.

Ralph