Shear question

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jer

Shear question

Post by Jer »

Hello all, I am looking at adding a shear to my shop. The shear is an Edwards 8" x 10g. I believe it was made in the late 70's in England possibly. Does anyone have any info on this machine? Has anyone used them? Looking for reliability of machine or whatever you have to say.

Thanks Jerry
Scott

Re: Shear question

Post by Scott »

Jerry hang on because I am sure Doug C. will fill you in on everything you need to know about that unit. Are you sure you mean 8 inch? If its the hand one, I talked to the Edwards rep about that unit. They dig them up in farmers fields all the time, and put them back in service. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hey JP,

I do not know of the specifics to the Edward's shears. I do think they became Edward's-Pearson of Pearson LTD and now are part of the Bystronic laser groups AFM/FABTECH.

If this be the same lineage, then parts may be long gone, let alone manuals. There are other machine tool companies with the Edward's name. One being a Iron worker producer with a lot more than just the 8" shear attached.

DC
guardguyjer

Post by guardguyjer »

Sorry Scott, Shear is an Edwards True Cut 8' x 10 gauge and was made in England, I do believe the clausing co. bought them out. There is no flywheel, it evidently has a gear reduction unit and is supposed to cut very nice. Well at least thats what I heard over on the AWS site.

I'm trying to find where I can get parts if needed and or a manual for it. I am going to make a call to www.machinerymanuals.com and see if they have one. As of now I need a couple buttons which were broken, like the stop and on & off buttons. Maybe electrician next week can put something on there for these.
guardguyjer

Post by guardguyjer »

Well thats me as guardguyjer & J P Streets sorry guys
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Here is this 10ga 4' on eBay JP.

Ebay 4' truecut

Here is Machinery Manuals online.

Possibly Besco-Truecut now

So you are thinking it is a gear driven eccentric or cam pulling down on the ram under the bed?

DC
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

If there is a chance that "clausing co. bought them out", I'd check with Clausing first for a manual as it will be $10.00 plus S&H. I have an old 1969 Excel/Covel grinder I wanted a manual for - someone said Clausing once owned them. They sure did and supplied me with a manual. S&H was $1.30 IIRC.

Contact Jolene (Jo) Olds Customer Service Manager info@clausingsc.com

You may prefer to contact Customer Service at 574-533-0371 or fax 574-533-0403 or mail to: Clausing Service Center, PO Box 877, Goshen, IN. 46527-0877.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.