Losing weight!

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jacin

Losing weight!

Post by Jacin »

That's IT!!! I'm going on a diet. It'd be far easier for me to lose a few pounds than doing it THIS WAY!!!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Does look cool though. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Re: Losing weight!

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

You and I must have been on the same diet this weekend. I had to drill 126 1/2" holes in a project Barb asked me to do. Of course thats 252 holes by the time you pilot them. Then deburring both sides is another 252 for a total of 504! Heck, I was tired by the time I had them layed out and centerpunched. Just another "all you have to do" honeydew's [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Upside is I used it as an excuse to replace my 12V vsr Crapsman drill for a 1/2" vsr Rigid from HD . [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Should have held out for a new/used latger capacity drill press [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]

BTW If you want to lose weight, Skip lunch every day and go out looking for tools. Exercise with no calories. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hi Ralph, Well I am at (roughly) 500 holes and counting. That's laying out, center punching, pilot drilling, final drilling or holesaw the bigger ones (big center drill for the smaller ones- I find them easier to maintain position - especially when drilling by hand.

Have yet to debur any of the small holes - need a good way to do the inside! Don't they sell special angled deburring tools?? My hand held deburring tools are ok for the bigger holes but the angle is wrong for the smaller ones (anything under say 3/4 of an inch)

Of course LONG TERM I want to make aluminum skins for the hood, decklid and maybe even the doors. Oh yeah the bumpers too - but that's AFTER I finish the dragster [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Michael_Moore

Post by Michael_Moore »

That is starting to look very Italian, as back in the 50s/60s they seemed keen on drilling holes in everything on race bikes.

A lot of that seems due to using material that was too thick for the job. Have you considered replicating some of the stuff out of a thinner gauge, and adding some extra shape to it by flanging, beading, or hammer forming to give it more section and increase stiffness?

You could also weld on doublers where you need some localized increases in thickness.

It is often a lot easier to design a part to be light from the start than it is to reduce the weight on a part that is too heavy.

cheers,
Michael
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Jacin,
looks like you have a bad case of metal boring beetles, worse than termite!!!
have not seen any round here, but the shrinking workshop syndrome is running
rampant!
tt
clueless near st.louis
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

"Lightning Holes"... it's looking like an aircraft part now...
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
sailingamerican

Post by sailingamerican »

I go looking for tools in the thrift stores everytime I go out. My problem they are near a great diner. I tell the Doc. that I am a skiny person in disguise. 6-1 and 265#