stainless steel

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

peterk

stainless steel

Post by peterk »

i am making a stainless steel counter type 304 with #4 brushed finish. never done this before . need to weld ends on it .does anyone have any tips for finishing the weld and blending it back to original finish?
gregvasale

Re: stainless steel

Post by gregvasale »

Why not take it to a shop thak can do the "end bends" for you and save a lot of welding. The "brush finish" you are referring to is generally done by "timesaving" (a large belt sander.) You can get close to that with a small belt sander and the right grit paper. A "rubber female die," vynil sheet or even masking tape can minimise tooling marks. Having the ss done this way means you may have to adjust the wooden top you're going to set it on, I assume.
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hello Peter,

The process I have seen in this field is to take a small strip of the base material the counter is made from and use it as filler rod for Tig welding it. That will keep color finish constant.

Texture finishing is an art. Blending texture by hand is magic. It may take some trials of welding up a corner and using commercially available flap wheels of various abrasive grades.

I have made my own wheels using raw hide glues, Hard cotton knap 3-4" wheels and canned abrasive of various grits.

The virgin wheel is roughed up running it against a wire brush to expose the fiber a bit. The hide glue if you can still get it, is painted on the OD of the wheel to saturate its fibers. Then roll it in grit of your choice or at best, compatible to the material to be worked with. This may take 3-4 layers. Letting it cure between layers. It will look like a donut with grit on the outer periphery.

After it is dried well, the outer surface is broken up with a hammer or round rod to make it look like cracked up brown sugar stuck to it. This give it some flex and will cut like mad with some grinding wax or tallow without loading up.

I would make up several to have on hand and write what grit they were on the sides. Mount them on arbors for the die grinder or flex shaft(safer).

This is where the magic comes in. A new wheel is not the same as an old wheel. It can take some time to condition them to copy grain pattern well. Keep a chunk of pumas on hand to clean the wheel and some stainless scraps to compare texture and maybe a dulling bar to kill some of the aggressive action on demand.

Best of luck.

DC
Dave_V

Post by Dave_V »

PeterK,

I'll attempt to attach the only photo in my machine of an example that required blending - similar, if not the same, as your job requires. The seams were close tacked ( 1/2" or less ) via TIG then MIG welded. These welds were ground using Roteller SP? disks ( 60 & 80 ) on Skil 15 amp high ? speed ( for a 9" ) angle grinder. This was followed up with three progressive grades( 80 - 100 - 120 ) of flap wheels ( 5 or 6 inch diameter ) on an antique 5/8" end grinder with custom arbors. The direction of work was always with an eye to blending into the original 2B finish.
Next came the large, wide Scotch-Brite wheels. The speed of the grinder was slowed to get the necessary effect - always with these and sometimes with the flap wheels.
Final blending was done by hand with several grades of Scotch Brite pads.

Dave
Dave_V

Post by Dave_V »

After viewing the download, I decided to give a little background.

This was scaled up 15 to 1 from a lost-wax aluminum casting that was produced by Marcia Wood ( deceased ) of Kalamazoo College. Leon Hillman and I fabricated this full size piece that is approximatley 16 feet long. This was in 1981.
The sculpture sustained damage on several occasions and the latest is quite visible in the photo and has since been repaired. I must get a current snapshot!

Dave Image

P.S.

The name of the sculpture is " Prospect " . Leon and I are credited as fabricators on the plaque that is flush with the grass.
peterk

Post by peterk »

thanks for the info all. havent tried your tips yet but gives me an idea of tools and materials needed to do it.
quite a sculpture. looks like a fitting nightmare.
Dave_V

Thankyou, I am going to add pictures

Post by Dave_V »

Peter,

Thank you for the compliment. I'll add some black and white scans that are from the printed invitation for the dedication ceremony of this sculpture. This was built from 14 GA. with the inner frame work that was 4130 round and some heavy wall galvanized square mechanical tubing. ( Whatever Marcia could have donated ). This will give you an idea of what this looked like during the construction process. The small model was taped up and the feature lines marked on the tape. This was then flattened out on a sheet of graph paper. These shapes were then scaled up and analyzed to determine which edges would be ' mastered'. These edges were then cut on the 14 ga and the first two were tacked together. This was then coaxed into the proper angular relationship and a second edge was tuned to the master shape. Tenplate material was then held at the proper angle against this edge and the line drawn with a sharp pencil on the template that was then transferred to the next 14 ga sheet, etc.

The cast aluminum model is visible in the first picture. This view shows a preliminary set -up of the partially completed sub-assemblies. The protective plastic sheet has been removed near the welds but left in place to help protect the sculpture during construction. The last picture shows L to R Dave ( me ) , Marcia ( the artist ), and Leon.

Thanks for looking,

Dave
Dave_V

Another view - farther along

Post by Dave_V »

This shows how the two major assemblies are made. These each mount to the earth ( foundation ) in two places each. They are joined by a small third assembly that joins the inner frames of these large pieces. This is the one that is damaged in the original picture.

Dave
Dave_V

Re: Another view - including those responsible

Post by Dave_V »

This picture was taken in 1982.

Left to right,

Dave ( me ), Marcia Wood, ( deceased ), and Leon.

Thanks again for looking.

Dave