Brass Bend / Form

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JerryL

Brass Bend / Form

Post by JerryL »

I have to bend or form some brass that is either going to be 0.062 to 0.090 thick. It will be about 1/2 inch wide X 3 inches long .

What it will look like ( I HOPE ) is pipe clamp strap. The hump ( bend )in the middle will have to fit over a 1/2 OF a 1/2 inch shaft.

Any ideas on forming this by hand ? Do I have to heat it up ? Should I use a wood stick or something to pound it to form over the 1/2 shaft ?

Thanks All .....JerryL
Take Care Have Fun Be Safe --Enjoy life and take care of your body --Life IS SHORT AND precious
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Brass will not work hot------it is what is called hot short, and will crumble with an attempt to make the bend. The best condition you can expect is to heat the brass until it's dull red, then quench it in water, or you can even allow it to cool without quenching. The quench tends to clean the surface. That will eliminate any work hardening that is inherent in the material, leaving it quite soft and easy to form.

Make a simple die (it can be made of wood if necessary) and form the piece you need either in an arbor or hydraulic press, or in a large bench vise if you don't have access to anything else.

Brass is commonly sold in a hardened condition. That condition is created by the rolling process------without annealing the material afterwards.

Harold
JerryL

forming brass

Post by JerryL »

Thanks Harold

I'll try the heating and quenching . I only need 2 pieces . ( guess it doesn't matter how many I need ) I need 2 good pieces hahahha.
So you have an idea what I am trying to make . This a top strap for a brass cannon . It will go over the side lugs / gun mounts that stick out of the side of the cannon and hold it down to the wood cradle or whatever it's called . ( It's not my toy )

Thank you for the info I now have learned a VERY Important thing about brass .

JerryL
Take Care Have Fun Be Safe --Enjoy life and take care of your body --Life IS SHORT AND precious
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You're very welcome, Jerry.

How about posting a picture of the end results? It might be useful for others to see how well it goes.

Harold
JerryL

Brass Pict. / Cannon

Post by JerryL »

Ok Harold

I will at least get a pict . of the brass parts if not the whole cannon .

This might take some time as we get the material and then get time to do the forming and then the install etc .

Thanks again
JerryL