what is the biggest crucible someone should lift themselves?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

caryncbreeef

what is the biggest crucible someone should lift themselves?

Post by caryncbreeef »

Hello all - I am considering building a tilt furnace - I have a small propane furnace (A6) and have been casting for about 15 years - lost wax and sand. need to go bigger - want to do an A20 or so - is this too big for a single lift? or is tilt better? thanks, Cary in Miami

ALso looking for tilting info and plans / suggestions.
Harold_V

Re: what is the biggest crucible someone should lift themsel

Post by Harold_V »

Needless to say, what you're melting will determine how large the crucible will be. Aluminum allows for a much larger crucible than does brass, for example.

Of concern is safety. How large it is would be determined by one's ability to safely handle the volume, regardless of size. If you have the capability, you could use a hoist to handle the weight, with you providing the pouring. In such a case, you could use a large crucible with reasonable safety.

I've built a titling furnace, but, unfortunately, it does not lend itself well to foundry work. My purpose was to reduce precious metal waste materials, so the furnace in question was what could be called a tilting reverberatory type. In such a furnace, the charge is directly exposed to the flame, which would not be in one's best interest for casting purposes.

I would suggest to you that if you hope to pour from the furnace directly, that you should abandon the thoughts of using conventional crucibles, and turn to those that have an attached pouring spout. I'm basing this on the idea that a bilge type crucible would be poorly suited to tilt melting, and assume the A type would share the same problems. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
caryncbreeef

Post by caryncbreeef »

i found one that holds 70 lbs brass that has a nice long spout - silicon carbide http://www.lmine.com/product/269342.html
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I will say it must be no bigger than you can safely control without strain. then again pouring solo is already a bad idea if things go wrong
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I wouldnt go over an a16 unless you have some sort of lifting crane and pouring cart. Thats figuring you'd be melting something more than just aluminium.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Unless you have a lot of coin, and want to tie it up in dust collectors, stay small, and dont re-invent the wheel.

I have 2 commercial furni, and mostly use #16 bilge crucibles. They are lifted by bilge loop, or scissor tong into a pouring shank. The shank is then run by hand for aluminum, or on a pouring rail for brass too heavy to hold. (2 new #30 are on hand).

As I make the next incarnation of my foundry, I have an air powered hoist, 2 ton, to trolly a heavy pour with. One of those lifts by Horror fright might work, if the cable doesnt run over itself, and bounce the load. They are cheep.

On that note, I am shoveling out and mulling my old (new ) sand again with a hint of synthetic outboard oil, and isopropol, to condition it, and putting it in a new 20 gallon galv garbage can. It will be more than half full when complete this week.

While your tilting spout looks good in practice, it does not lend itself to good practice hitting the pouring cup.

Before you commit to a lot o f cost, you can mock up a pouring run with dry sand coffee cups, in carboard boxes, and pour dry sand from a coffee can on a broom stick, and try different arrangements. I know it sounds like kiddies playing metal men, but many things can be learned with a dry run, and floor layout, before you risk money, metal and limb with assumptions.

Uh, ok, I read you have experience. It is ok to try to take the work out of work, and some simple tools and aids can help. Like a 2x4 floor rail topped with conduit, allows a heavy shank to be positioned with ease for pouring.

Luck with your endeavors.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Tho I mainly use the two man shank for pouring by lifting it, the device you see hanging in the center of the photo could be used by one man to pour using that shank. I have yet to try using it that way. I only used that device many years ago when pouring a #70 crucible, but we still had two on the shank. Of course, this requires that you have some kind of overhead lifting device, which I have in a jib crane.

In the photo is a #30 crucible and it can hold 30 pounds of aluminum or 90 pounds of brass when filled near the top.
Attachments
DSC_0730_3.jpg
caryncbreeef

Post by caryncbreeef »

thanks for your suggestions. After discussing this on another site as well, pit turns out that the crucible I posted is not half as big as the MFG claims. so that is a bit of a bummer. If I understand the crucible system right, an A20 will hold about 60 lbs brass - or so. this would probably be good for what I need - I have also considered the furnace type that swings up and over in half, so a pouring / lifting tong combination can be put over the crucible without having to lift it straight out, set it down, change tongs, etc. I am blanking on the furnace style, but sure you all know what I mean. I could certainly build an overhead something or over to handle the weight.

I am disabled, and don't have a lot of strength, I do not cast alone however - ever. but I want to be able to do bigger castings - just trying to figure out what makes sense. need something bigger than what i have and trying to make the right decision. won't start building till i think i have made it right!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

A rapid hoisting system makes too much sense, given a jib arrangement is a viable answer to control the pour into the cup. When you reach 40-50 lbs on a shank, things get brutal in controlling the weight. Thats why a rail, or overhead makes so much sense.

I have done a lot of pours alone, but they tend to be small, only tens of pounds. It is always nice to have help setting and rolling molds when the need arises.

As far as any noted capacity, a 60lb vessel in brass is well used at about 40-45 lbs for pouring control. This is about normal, 2/3 of capacity to hit the cup with a steady stream, giving clean airtight casts, and not dribble and drivel around.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.