What happens if foundry sand freezes?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Paul P.

What happens if foundry sand freezes?

Post by Paul P. »

What happens if foundry sand freezes? I am going to have to locate my "sand box" in the garage (possible freezing temperatures in winter) or else haul finished molds up from the basement. Perhaps I could get away with the old "drop light trick" to prevent damage. Paul P.
jpfalt

Freezing sand

Post by jpfalt »

For green sand, nothing in particular gets hurt. Just mull it well and defrost before use.

For petrobond, also no particular problems. Especially since it doesn't use water in the mix.
Snakeoil

Post by Snakeoil »

If your going to use the Phenolic Urethane binder system, cold sand heads you for trouble. The foundry I have worked in for the last 40 years (yike) will not operate if our sand is below 50 degrees F. We have the real time binder computer controlled system and the pumps can't put enough catalyst to compensate for sand temp that is below the above amount. There are hotter catalyst available that will help, but freezing or below I don't think so. But on the other hand sand is easily warmed, even a hair dryer could change the temp real quick. Hope this gives some insight.
Brain, an apparatus with which we think we think