Monster Burner

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

gangel99

Monster Burner

Post by gangel99 »

I am building a monster burner using plans via the web. 2" reducer to 1 1/4" pipe that is 12" long. I have a small 5 gallon propane tank and am not planning on using a blower.

I am designing the gas orifice so I can screw in a Tweco welding tip. Does anyone have an idea of the correct tip? I have .023", .030, and .035" tips that I use with my welder. Will any of these work?
lodcomm

Post by lodcomm »

gangel99 wrote: Does anyone have an idea of the correct tip? I have .023", .030, and .035" tips that I use with my welder. Will any of these work?
Hi,

You can experiment with any of the three sizes you have. My guess is that each will work. Select the one that gives you the most efficient flame

On my reil-style burner, I simply drilled a few different sized holes and settled with using the one that gave me a nice blue flame, and didnt flashback.
Roy

Post by Roy »

IIRC its what comes in close to a #55 or 56 drill bit is what you want. That will put you in the ball park pretty darn close.

The monster burner (Rupert Wenig designed) is a great burner, cheap to make and does the job.
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

I made a forge with two non-blown burners. I use Tweco .035 tips, and a regulator that is adjustable from .5 to 45 psi. The burners are completely stable throughout that pressure range. If you're planning on using a barbecue regulator, it won't work. If you're planning on using a single 20lb cylinder, that won't work well either. A big burner boils off enough gas to freeze a small cylinder in just a few minutes, reducing the pressure to almost nothing in cooler weather. (You might be OK in the summer sun). I use two 20lb tanks in parallel and still have trouble in ambient temps below 50 deg F.

It is also necessary to remove the flow-limiter from the tank connector.

Be sure to make the location of your gas jet adjustable, and pay particular attention to the internal taper of your burner nozzle. The gas jet postion is sensitive to 1/16 of an inch in a 2" tube, and without the proper nozzle taper your flame will not be stable at a wide range of pressures.

Gordon

OOPS! my first visit to this forum, and I just noticed the last post was last year. Oh well, maybe it'll help somebody sometime!
gangel99

Post by gangel99 »

Not too late - useful information. I've only got one burner - not two - but I have had problems with a freezing tank. Just upgraded to a larger tank - maybe 35# or 40# - and will try it out soon.

Thanks!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My homebult furnace has 100lb tank feeding it with a Gas regualtor and torch hosing. Turning up the reg gives more gas pressure and feed at the nozzle and the flame is really good. I only run aluminum in this furnace, and use the other blown furnace for Bronzes.

If you do diferent metals, use a diferent crucible for each metal. I use and iron dutch oven for lead and pewter like metals.

Local fill station inspects my tank, and sells lp by the lb across a scale. Not too bad. They service campers and mobile homes, so prices are fair.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.