44142 Pulley Project

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

lodcomm

44142 Pulley Project

Post by lodcomm »

Hey Folks,

I recently replaced the lathe motor on my HF-44142 with a dc treadmill motor so I could get the low RPM's for thread cutting, and other functuions where high-torque/Low RPM is useful. In the process of converting the lathe to use the new motor I had a good excuse to use my mini-foundry to cast the drive pulley I needed for the new motor.

I used the original pulley that was in the lathe as my pattern and rammed up a mold.

The first is a picture of the cast pulley beside the original, just as it looked after breaking it out of the sand mold.

The second picture is the cutting bit I made to cut the V into the rough pulley casting. This bit was made from plain mild 1/2" square stock which I ground and checked against the original pulley held up to a light. Once I got the proper shape, I case hardened the cutting end. (although I probably really didnt need to do the case hardening to cut the aluminum - I was really just looking for a reason to play with my kasenite :)

Lastly - is a picture of the finished pulley alive and well in it's new home - my HF 44142.

-cheers
Attachments
finished_pully.jpg
pulley_bit.jpg
cast_pulley.jpg
gangel99

A really, really dumb question

Post by gangel99 »

How do I see pictures that are posted on the forum? There must be some setting I do not have set properly.

Harold_V

Re: A really, really dumb question

Post by Harold_V »

gangel99 wrote:How do I see pictures that are posted on the forum? There must be some setting I do not have set properly.

It's obvious you're signed in, otherwise you couldn't post.

What firewall you running? Many of us that run ZoneAlarm have had a problem seeing posted pics on this board. You can determine if your firewall is the problem by turning it off briefly, then coming to the site and checking to see if pics display. Don't turn it off while on the site, that won't make any difference. Should you determine it's your firewall, you'll have to make some changes in the security settings.

Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The subject of pictures not displaying was addressed very recently, with some good and useful information provided by our valued member, 4catmom (Dan), amongst others. Please follow this link for more information.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =zonealarm

Harold