casting

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Charles Cleland

casting

Post by Charles Cleland »

Hi;
when I started my casting about 35 years ago I could buy green western sand already mixed.As I am trying to get it going again the only way I can buy green western sand mix is to buy sand and bentonite and mix it myself I prefer green sand for the forms rather than the oil based sand. Does any one know what parts bentonite to sand you are supposed mix for the forms?
chaz
Charles Cleland

Hi;I found everthing I wanted to know at http://foundry101.com/archive.htm
chaz
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

hey Charles. If you pour Bronze , you should give Oil based sand a try, it is easy to make and is superior to greensand. I have very good detail reproduction, without the moisure blows and steam related problems given to the moisture in greensand for small parts. TTFN
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Charles Cleland

Hi; thanks for the advice but the only metal I will be useing will be alum.
chaz
jones

Post by jones »

steamin10, do you have a link which shows how to make your own oil based sand?
Andrew
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Here is the most used formula, I use a variation of this.

It is not too impressive until the alchahol takes effect in about 24 hours.

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/k-bond/k-bond.htm
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.