Foundry Training Resources

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

BuilderCreator

Foundry Training Resources

Post by BuilderCreator »

I know some of you work or have worked in professional foundries--this is a question for you.
How do masters of the foundry get their training in the professional world?
Do hobbyist metal-casting books have all the theory that one needs to know, or is there more information out there for those who want to cast some serious, load- and pressure-bearing pieces?
I'm talking about engine blocks and locomotive frames.

Thank you all, as always, for your time!

-Scott
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ugh! Not to be snippy, but what you are asking cant be answered so easy.

Serious load and critical use castings require a lot of engineering first and then practical application, in the real world. Most foundrymen are shape shifters, and get a hole they pour metal in. Simple enough. Locomotive frames (full size) require material and stress analysis, that is much more than playing in the sand. I saw a program a little while ago, that had engine blocks for BMW being pressure injection cast in Magnesium. (!) Solid die forms were injected in about 1.5 seconds, so the metal could not burn or deteriorate. Something like 5 million for the machine and God knows what for the dies.

I worked in a BIG foundry, that made cast armor for M-60 tanks, and mill rolls and machinery, of various steels and irons. Many skills were honed by trial and error in the casting pits, and the last innovation was dry sand vacuum molding. It was very fast without the resin smoke and recycle waste.

Smaller foundries tackle smaller jobs. But operations get very big , very fast, as casting weights go up. It is one thing to make a bauble in the back yard, and another to hit the spec for military armor, and follow all the QC that makes your job live. Many a hull and turret went to the cutting yard, just because alloy was off a few points at pour because of slag reversion. Our loss was about 2% for all causes, about 30% repair defects. Pretty normal for a large casting.

In real terms the old high school shop foundry gave a snapshot of what could be done in a foundry, it has all the basics. Like Kindergarden, you learn to walk and move on from there. OJT is hard to beat, but still only covers what is done at that site. The theory and all is in the books and thought out by engineers, to match the job. It is sometimes trial by fire, to get it right.

The hobby founding books by AMMEN and others are relevant to small foundries. Large scale operations are harder to research, and latest works in engineering will cost you a bundle, as they are written for the professional, and are limited run. Older works, are like buying a manual for a sailing schooner, and trying to run a new container ship withit. They are worlds apart.

It is the little things you dont know and understand, that will get you everytime. I know. Ive seen the best, and the worst.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a site you can look at. They have all kinds of courses and literature, non of which is cheap.

http://www.afsinc.org/
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

How do masters of the foundry get their training in the professional world?
A mix of education (usually engineering or metalurgy) and practical experience. There are some colleges with foundry programs and the AFS has a variety of materials and courses. The AFS has good material but as Ronald points out it is not cheap.

Do hobbyist metal-casting books have all the theory that one needs to know, or is there more information out there for those who want to cast some serious, load- and pressure-bearing pieces?
I would say the hobbyist books will guide the hobbyist to his own casting in the back yard. It really depends on the background a person brings and what "serious" means but I doubt the hobby publications will lead you to an engineered casting on their own.