air cfm requirements for a furnace

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

todd goff

air cfm requirements for a furnace

Post by todd goff »

I have a great question for everyone and I don't know where to start on this one. I have a 500 # dip out crucible furnace that I had thought about scrapping out but changed my mind on. The compressed air part of it came from a large air compressor at the place that I got it from so it had no blower. I recently picked up a blower off of ebay at a deal. It is 1/2 hp 3 phase 3600 rpm and has a squirrel cage blower instead of the standard type rotor or impeller that the standard furnace blowers use. I made an adapter flange to mount the blower to the furnace and need to clean some refractory off of the top of the furnace and put some new refractory on top of it to seal it back off. The question is this; does anyone think that the blower that I have may be even remotely close to doing the job that I need it to do in terms of cfm's. Please let me know; I think that it will be close, but it's one of those deals where I may have to try it and see. I still need to make an air shutter to control the blast of the blower as it does not have this on it but you gotta start somewhere. :?:
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Uh, I dont have the slightest Idea what your blower is like. If they ran off an air compressor, then the venturi is probably a compound. Never mind.

I use a yard blower bought for ten bucks, with a solid state speed control on it. The plastic tube has been cut down and a 3" furnace split pipe ( duct piece) has been added to the end. I blow charcoal with it to render big chunks of aluminum into pig, that is easier to handle.

You can substitute pipe, and add a gas jet to make a Riel type burner. For fine air control a metal dics can cover part of the leaf blower intake to make a shutter for fine adjustment, if necessary. I find the speed control better, if you dont go too low on the rpm, they dont like that. I have bought two leaf blowers at pawn shops here very cheeply.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

PS. At one time I would have killed for a dip furnace. (Hand die casting)Now I have pot - crucible furni, and like them.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
todd goff

Post by todd goff »

Well, I got the adapter pipe made that will let me mount the blower to the furnace and it has a slightly smaller opening on it than the blower itself. Thank god for a radial drill, I used it to drill the holes for the blower to mount to the furnace and to the adapter itself. I need to wire it now and then put the gas train back on the furnace. If it works well, then I need to reline the top of the furnace. God only knows how much propane that this thing is going to suck down. I think I might need to win the lottery before I get it going. :)