Gingery mill project.

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Gadget

Gingery mill project.

Post by Gadget » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:49 pm

I had a busy day today. I cast mounting bases for the Gingery mill for me and a friend. I had to shake out the first pair to get enough sand to cast the second. I didn't quite have enough for two large flasks.
Anyway, all four castings turned out quite well. The bed surface has been hand scraped true flat so the next step is to surface the mounting bases and mount them to the bed.
Attachments
bedbase.JPG
bases.JPG

Gadget

Gingery mill update

Post by Gadget » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:44 pm

I poured the first of two mill head stands today. This was the most complicated patterns in the build and it turned out as close to perfect as I think I will ever get. It's a split pattern with deep thin pieces that have to be pulled from the sand. I had my doubts that I would be able to pull the patterns without damage but they pulled very nicely.
I also cut the bed ways and got the first two bolts inserted. The rest will be easy now since the ways will not move when doing them.
Attachments
GEDC0023.JPG
GEDC0026.JPG
GEDC0025.JPG
GEDC0024.JPG

dly31

Post by dly31 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Those are nice looking castings and I think you did real well to make them. They do not look easy.

Don Young

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 am

I agree. So far, each of them has the appearance of having been done by one with considerable talent.

Keep up the good work, and keep sharing your progress. We may not comment regularly, but we always read the posts.

Harold

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks for the nice words guys. I plan on posting progress from start to finish on this project. When that's done I will start on the shaper. I made the lathe many years ago so won't be doing that one.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am

It might be interesting to hear what you are using for melting stock. Are you buying new alloy, or salvaging materials. If so, what kinds yield acceptable results?

Harold

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Harold_V wrote:It might be interesting to hear what you are using for melting stock. Are you buying new alloy, or salvaging materials. If so, what kinds yield acceptable results?

Harold
Harold,
I use salvaged material for all my aluminum projects. Normally, I will melt down the scrap to ingots after skimming the dross (slag). This is done with my waste motor oil burner in the furnace. Then I use the ingots for the actual projects, it requires much less skimming and actually less time to melt. This time of year I have to work inside so I am using my propane burner, I don't have a vent hood made for the furnace yet.
The scrap metal is old castings, storm window frames, sheet aluminum cut into strips and rolled into a toilet paper sized roll and anything else I can find.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:25 pm

My aluminum melting is restricted to only a couple experiences as a young lad. I've melted a huge amount of silver, and cast both ingots and anodes, but that's beyond the point at hand.

I've heard that melting some grades of aluminum for making castings isn't the greatest idea, if for no other reason, it doesn't pour well.

Judging from the appearance of your castings, I'm not convinced that's true.

Have you pursued pistons? I've heard good things about them for making castings, being high in silica.

So much to learn, and so little time!

Harold

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

I use what I can find Harold. In my circle of influence there are not many pistons floating around. However, I have also heard they are great alloys to work with.

4-6-4

Melting scrap

Post by 4-6-4 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am

Dear Gadget. Be careful of melting scrap that has been used around water ie car radiator parts I had a explosion when a friend gave me garage scrap and there must have been water residue in the castings and when I poked the below the surface it all came back at me. Point do not stand directly over the crucible when topping it up. There was no damage to me but the cap and shirt I was wearing suffered some what.
All the ally extrusions are not particularly good to remelt they have stuff in them so they will extrude ie soft drink cans. I used Ingots and to9pped up with runner systems.
All the best 4-6-4

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks for the caution 4-6-4, I wear a safety mask when adding metal to the melt. I also use a pair of scissor tongs that put me back from the furnace and well to the side when adding metal. I am at least three feet away from the furnace when metal is added. I've been melting metal for the last 20 years with no injuries or problems but a fresh warning from time to time is never a bad thing. Thanks for your concern and caution reminder.

Gadget

Gingery mill update 02 14 2010

Post by Gadget » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I spent the weekend hand scraping the pads for mounting the vertical ways this weekend. Once that was done I mounted the headstand and vertical ways. I have the ways mounted with two screws right now. The remaining holes are drilled and countersunk but still need to be tapped, I just ran out of time.
Attachments
GEDC0009.JPG