'Motorboating' with new burner...

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Chet

'Motorboating' with new burner...

Post by Chet »

Just finished a modified Oliver burner.
I'd heard that the Oliver is sometimes plagued with air starvation, so instead of 3 holes, I milled a 3/8 slot from first hole to third on each side.
The other modification was simply feeding the burner from the end, rather than perpendicular to to burner tube.
Testing with a front end choke gave good results, with a good solid roar with only 7 1/2 pounds propane pressure.
However, when I placed the burner in my new foundry (fed from side for circular rotation of gas) I keep getting a motorboating sound.
Increasing gas pressure beyond 7 1/2 pounds doesn't appear to help.
Yes, I have a crucible in the furnace.
Thoughts?
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, most likely too lean in my experience, it is popping off, and relighting giving a buzz sound, sometimes like a buzz bomb over England. It is tuning the nozzle to the space it feeds, and is hard to explain, because the Crucible may make it stop, or blow out altogether. I dunno. I had a small nozzle that did this, and would go out at odd times. I started over, and got a BIG tube. It runs with a whisper or a roarfrom under 5 lbs to over 20 on a 100lb cylinder.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Chet

Re: 'Motorboating' with new burner...

Post by Chet »

I thought I'd bring everybody up to speed on the solution to my problem.
I'd suspected it was the burner, so I went ahead and made a Reil burner with a #57 drilled orifice hole.
The Reil burned beautifully outside the foundry (with a tapered nozzle), but I ran into the same problem when it was placed in the furnace.
I eliminated the airgap between my 3/4 burner and my 1-1/4 inlet tube by added a 1" sleeve.
But it was a suggestion by Rupert Wenig that finally solved it: Pull the burner half-way out.
Now I get a nice smooth roar from roughly 1 to 10 lbs psi.
I also have to make a new lid with a 3" opening...
I'd hoped to use the lid from my electric foundry, but it's exhaust hole was only 1-1/2 inches...
Progress one small step at a time...