Muller on CL

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Muller on CL

Post by Wanna-Be »

I was looking for crucibles on CL and the word foundry brought up a nice small Muller. About the right size for a home shop. He also has a couple small Flasks as well.

I talked to him last night and he is an ex-navy pattern maker and is selling off his small foundry/pattern business. Moving to Iowa.

I plan to go there later this week and check it out but definately plan to make a deal. I could live without the muller but need flasks and he says he had other tooling as well.

I hope to look through his pattern inventory and talk him out of some.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Harold_V

Re: Muller on CL

Post by Harold_V »

Do your best to get the muller unless you see no way to do so. It can spell the difference between your keeping interest in foundry work and not doing so. Mixing sand so it is proper for use is not a fun project, made much simpler with a muller. Everything I've read indicates that sand should be mixed for a prolonged period of time, not just tossed a couple of times. A muller not only lessens the burden, but yields much better quality sand.

Harold
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Thanks for the encouragement on this matter. I have been reading another thread on Green Sand and than has been causing me some concern and reservation. Hence, my interest in this Muller.
My interest and back ground in Foundry and Pattern work goes (way) back to my navy career days and time on navy repairs ships. I was R1 division officer on several of these ship and the pattern shop was was in my division while the foundry was next door but in the R2 division. I was not reluctant to spend time with either. I always found a good reason to be around when they were preparing patterns and setting up for a complex pour or even for some obligatory plaques. I might have been a pain in the butt but I always respected the process and knowledge of these two trades.
Now, after 23 yr in the navy and even more in industry and at age 72, I want to do it myself.

Thanks for this great forum,

Steve (Wanna-Be)
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I got the muller and two nice flasks. I couldn't get him to move on his asking price of $250 but did get him to 'sweeten' the deal by throwing in a #8 crucible, in good condition.
The crucible it over size for my furnace but I think I can modify the top bricks for clearance.

Here is a picture of the Muller and flasks.

Now I must melt "something" :mrgreen: Burn, Baby, Burn!!

No scrap of aluminum will be tossed in my shop now.

Steve
3k83mf3l35Y35O25Z0a49f12eb40ca9e51ba3.jpg
3k83mf3l35Y35O25Z0a49f12eb40ca9e51ba3.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You did just fine. I haven't purchased a #8 crucible in years (more than 15) and they were well in excess of $40 then.

Remember, you need space for your lifting tool, so it might be wise to get something before making any furnace alterations.

I think you'll like the #8 size. I used them for years, melting precious metals. A full crucible is still manageable without a second set of hands, so you can work safely.

If you choose to make handling tools, you likely know that bilge crucible should be handled by the bilge area, and not crushed. Make sure you have an adjustable stop so you can't over tighten on the crucible. At heat, they're fairly easy to deform, as they become quite plastic.

Each flask, new, would cost no less than $100. Can't imagine the muller for anything less than several hundred, and it's a dandy size for the hobbyist. Easy to store and move about.

Congrats on the new toys!

Harold
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

What is the brand name of the muller?

I have not seen that size before.

TMT
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I have the same question, but the label on the front was missing. If I get a chance this weekend, I will take a picture of the inside. It has a side steel wheel, rubber side and a bottom scrapers. Then a trap door to let the sand into the bottom hopper.

I think I will have make a shovel since the opening in the hopper is too small for a standard and the opening for shoveling the sand into the upper chamber is only about 6" X 8". The motor and top deck lift off easily and I suspect that might be the best way to put a full load of sand in it and use the small opening for any additives/check progress.

No complaints here. Or at least, until I find some sand.

Yah Know?? Looking at it, Aside from the gear motor, it wouldn't be difficult to build. I'll try and provide some detailed picture. (without a mfg label, who knows who's patient might be violated :twisted: )

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

That sounds like the Mitey-Mite Muller I have. very small and processes a shovel-full at a time. I wish mine were bigger, but then where would I put all this stuff I have. Its size is its biggest pitfall, but it does a decent job on the Oil-sand I feed it. It takes two batches to fill even one of the flasks I use, so I have learned to use the smallest flask for the job to eliminate wait time.

By the way, you can make your own flasks, with hardwood, and a coupla hinges and padlock hasps. You can then use them as a snap flask and just leave the Mold by itelf on your pouring floor. Not very much equipment needed.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.