Update on Gingery mill project 06 05 2010

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Gadget

Update on Gingery mill project 06 05 2010

Post by Gadget »

I finally got a chance to work on the mill again. I cast the feed screw bearing support for the bed and mounted the feed screw. The feed is nice and smooth throughout the length of the bed.
Dan
Attachments
feed screw.JPG
Gadget

Re: Update on Gingery mill project 06 22 2010

Post by Gadget »

I got the third axis lead screw installed today. All three axis's are now done. It's time to build the boring bar mount to bore the spindle bearing support. It's been a very long process but it is starting to look like something now.
Dan
Attachments
GEDC0017.JPG
GEDC0018.JPG
GEDC0019.JPG
Gadget

Update on Gingery mill project 08 08 2010

Post by Gadget »

I finally had some time to work on the Gingery mill recently. I cast the compound spindle and bearing cap and machined the swivel base. The book said to drill three holes on a radius then cut with a coping saw for the radius slots but I cheated. I mounted the trim router with a 3/8" carbide bit to the lathe and cut the slots while the base was still bolted to the face plate. Much better slots that way.
Dan
Attachments
GEDC0001.JPG
GEDC0002.JPG
norman

Re: Update on Gingery mill project 06 05 2010

Post by norman »

Gadget
You need to get a cracking on the mill. I'm really surprised at how nice they work for being home made. I've made and used the face mill on mine and will soon be casting the final parts for the machine. I did have some sever wear on the spindle head bearing, had to re shim it a couple of times. It getting to where I can't decide what to make next
plus the shaper comes in handy for making things for the mill.
Keep on keepin on!!
Norman
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Norman,
I've got the house painted now and will end my marathon training on the 17th of this month which will allow much more free time. I have done a bit on the mill transmission but have been working on it is bits and pieces. Once I have power I will start boring the spindle head.
Dan
PS Running the Grand Rapids Marathon Oct 17th.
norman

Post by norman »

Gadget
You get your mill finished? I made the dividing head and it works pretty nice for home made.
Show us some progress on your machine when you can.
I used the mill on steel bought some milling bits at harbor freight and they work good. I wasn't sure they would hold up but they do.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

norman wrote:Gadget
You get your mill finished? I made the dividing head and it works pretty nice for home made.
Show us some progress on your machine when you can.
I used the mill on steel bought some milling bits at harbor freight and they work good. I wasn't sure they would hold up but they do.
Harold,
I've been side tracked for a long time but haven't given up on the mill yet. I'm about to start working on it again. I have to rebuild the burner for my furnace then I can resume work. I should have something to post over the fall and winter.