Need (20) 4" dia. castings for flanged trolley type wheels

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

larrylee

Need (20) 4" dia. castings for flanged trolley type wheels

Post by larrylee »

Hello All!
I am new here but it looks like my kind of place. I am recently retired and have been restoring a 1959 Mead Speedcat mini dozer and I need many things re-made or rebuilt to complete the project.

I need to replace (20) bogie wheels that are similar to flanged trolley wheels. Does anyone know of a source for these wheels- 4" wheel dia, 4.5" flange dia, 1" wide wheel area, .25" flange thickness and .75 or 1" bore?

I can have castings machined, if necessary, if anyone knows where castings could be obtained for a reasonable cost.

I am located in Holland, MI

Thanks for your assistance!
patternguy

Re: Need (20) 4" dia. castings for flanged trolley type whee

Post by patternguy »

Larry. If you can get me a drawing, I can get you a casting price. I can also make the pattern if you need it. Dave C
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Unless I am missing something it seems like those should be easily machinable from 4.5" round stock and that should be cheaper than castings. I would also think that steel would be a better material than cast iron but I have no direct experience with this.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

larrylee--

Welcome to the forum.

I'd enjoy seeing a picture of the mini dozer. Sounds like a fun toy and a great project!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larrylee

Post by larrylee »

Harold- thanks for the welcome! Below is a pic of my Speedcat :D
'59 Mead Speedcat mini dozer that I am restoring
'59 Mead Speedcat mini dozer that I am restoring
Meadsmlpic.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 8250 times
larrylee

Post by larrylee »

dly31 wrote:Unless I am missing something it seems like those should be easily machinable from 4.5" round stock and that should be cheaper than castings. I would also think that steel would be a better material than cast iron but I have no direct experience with this.
Hi Don,
You are right- these can be machined from CRS, if you have the equipment or $$$ to pay someone. I was interested in the castings as a way
to minimize the machining costs, but I don't know the trade-off of the machining costs vs. the castings costs ???

Thanks for your reply!
larrylee

Post by larrylee »

patternguy wrote:Larry. If you can get me a drawing, I can get you a casting price. I can also make the pattern if you need it. Dave C
Hi Dave- thanks for the reply! I don't have a CAD program and I am an old timer and would have to make a sketch. Could you give me a WAG to give me
an idea whether it is worth while doing the dwg?? Include the cost of making a pattern off of a sample.

Thanks for your help!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

larrylee wrote:Below is a pic of my Speedcat
That's way cool! How is it powered?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larrylee

Post by larrylee »

9.2 HP Wisconsin- weighs a couple hundred lbs! Everything is heavy duty. Three speeds forward (slow, slower and really slow) & reverse with two speed axle for each side- lots a gears & bearings in there..
patternguy

Post by patternguy »

Larry, A sketch will do. Rough dimensions will be good for me to get some prices together for you. PM me and I can get you my contact info.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Just a guess, but I suspect a CNC lathe could crank those out while you were having coffee and thinking about making a pattern.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

20 pcs should run about $20 apiece or just under for short run CNC. These are like a train wheel, and they are advertised for $18 all day long. Use treatable material, and you can harden them off, for longer life.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.