Set Myself on Fire Lolz

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Set Myself on Fire Lolz

Post by steamin10 »

I had one experiencw with gasoline for a fire that changed everything I do. One fine sunday morning I piled a second PU load of brush on ;the pile; at the back of the property, got my trusty gas can and poured some gas out into the pile. as the stream flushed in I saw the ashes fly and red sparks rise from the still hot fire bed from the day before. I back peddled just in time to be engulfed in the flash. The metal can was afire and was heaved to the side, and luck would have it, I had crossed my face with my left arm at the shoosh.. My cooked arm from elboe to wrist leaked fluid for the entire trip to the hospital and after. I still had my eyebrows, but my wave took a fast trim. Silvadene ointment is really expensive, but a very good treatment for second degree burns.

If there is any question of heat in the fire bed, a fast feel with an open hand will save you the trouble, as will a good stir with a stick. I use diesel with a bit of gas in a 2 liter bottle and put a hole in the lid with a knife, and lay it dripping head down in a brush pile. A single sheet of news print laid out ignites the drippings, that warm the bottle and the flames quickly build according to the fuel expelled. Much more controlled than an explosion of fumes.

Where I am we have morning dew, and thats when most of the burning is started, calm winds, wet grass. and a flat shovel for beating out an errant spark. I never leave an untended fire until it is fairly burnt, as leaves and embers can carry in the updraft. Once burnt down to a pile of coals, only strong winds pose a threat. Only once have I had to dowse a fire because of building winds, and it was a lesson too. Dont make tooo big a pile. It takes tooo long for a bucket brigade to put it out.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've Googled a bunch of fire-starting tips. Two interesting possibilities: old tires and carpet padding. Also, one guy recommends fireplace starter logs.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Forgot this one: road flares.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Forgot this one: road flares.
Yea. We used to ignite the oil fires in cold steam locomotives with those fusees.
They work.
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:I've Googled a bunch of fire-starting tips. Two interesting possibilities: old tires and carpet padding. Also, one guy recommends fireplace starter logs.
Heh! I can only imagine how thrilled EPA would be to have citizens start burn piles with carpet padding or old tires. The resulting thick, black smoke is hard to miss.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the issue at hand. A fire can be successfully started by simply providing a little paper and kindling. Mauro just did that very thing! Unless there's heavy wind, one match. Works every time unless the material being burned is wet.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:I've Googled a bunch of fire-starting tips. Two interesting possibilities: old tires and carpet padding. Also, one guy recommends fireplace starter logs.
Heh! I can only imagine how thrilled EPA would be to have citizens start burn piles with carpet padding or old tires. The resulting thick, black smoke is hard to miss.

It's your local government you have to deal with, not the EPA. Our (informal, unwritten) rule is "one tire per fire".
I'm having a little trouble understanding the issue at hand.
Getting rid of the stuff.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Trees that have just been knocked down by a tropical storm tend to be full of water.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote:It's your local government you have to deal with, not the EPA. Our (informal, unwritten) rule is "one tire per fire".
I understand that, although you'd be hard pressed to get away with that here in Western Washington. There's serious restrictions on burning, including one that says you can't burn lumber (but burning trees is acceptable). That's in counties where burning is permissible. Some of the counties do not permit burning.
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:Trees that have just been knocked down by a tropical storm tend to be full of water.
Checkmate!

H
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> I understand that, although you'd be hard pressed to get away with that here in Western Washington. There's serious restrictions on burning,
> including one that says you can't burn lumber (but burning trees is acceptable).

Yes, that's what the law says here too, and I'm sure they take it quite seriously over by the river.
spro

Post by spro »

Good.
spro

Post by spro »

That didn't say much but forestry service is important. How many times are we to see thousands of acres burned up? Talk about "warming" or "cO2". These are gifts to us, a renewable resource. One way or another the timber gets used. Flat shame that one idiot or terrorist causes all this mayhem to others while wasting huge scathes of useable wood/building material to us and the world.It is like many things which fold over like they never happened. They DID happen and recent events show it was supposed to be cleaned out and culled and stored because stuff happens. All these disasters and rebuilding, where does the wood come from?
People say "there wasn't a severe hurricane in the last seven years". So doesn't that mean a "hard raid or rain is going to fall after that ?