Backing up computer files

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am

RMinMN wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 am
One trick that I have heard works sometimes is to put the hard drive into the freezer overnight, then reinstall it while still cold.
Old wives' tale. Subjecting the disk to such a temperature extreme will almost certainly cause the magnetic coating on the platters to separate when the disk is spun up. When that happens, the disk will have gone from "failed" to "recycle material."

The truly desperate can send the disk to someone like On-Track, which has a better-than-average success rate in recovering data from dead disks, even disks that have been subjected to a low-level formatting. I've used their services twice on behalf of clients. It's not cheap, but that's the price to be paid for carelessness.
—————————————————————————————————
I'm an old guy. What's your excuse? ☻

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am

SteveHGraham wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
This is a good example of going outside the parameters of a discussion.
Actually, it isn't. The discussion is about securing one's data. There's little to be said about any backup method that doesn't protect the backup medium from physical damage or theft. At the risk of offending you, to imply otherwise is ignorant.

Almost anyone who can afford to purchase machines and tooling to make things can afford to purchase a UL-listed media safe. Such safes survived the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on September 11, and the media therein was still usable.
—————————————————————————————————
I'm an old guy. What's your excuse? ☻

User avatar
tornitore45
Posts: 1700
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:24 am
Location: USA Texas, Austin

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by tornitore45 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:10 pm

A crashed PC may simply not be able to boot and yet have most files recoverable.
Basically booting from an alternate source and reading the "bad" drive may work.
I am PC user of average literacy and I know I am 10 times more capable to resolve PC issues that the typical knucklehead at the Office Depot store or Geek Squad.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX

User avatar
SteveHGraham
Posts: 7481
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by SteveHGraham » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am
SteveHGraham wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
This is a good example of going outside the parameters of a discussion.
Actually, it isn't. The discussion is about securing one's data. There's little to be said about any backup method that doesn't protect the backup medium from physical damage or theft. At the risk of offending you, to imply otherwise is ignorant.

Almost anyone who can afford to purchase machines and tooling to make things can afford to purchase a UL-listed media safe. Such safes survived the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on September 11, and the media therein was still usable.
Thank you for proving my point.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

RMinMN
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 am

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by RMinMN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 am

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am
RMinMN wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 am
One trick that I have heard works sometimes is to put the hard drive into the freezer overnight, then reinstall it while still cold.
Old wives' tale. Subjecting the disk to such a temperature extreme will almost certainly cause the magnetic coating on the platters to separate when the disk is spun up. When that happens, the disk will have gone from "failed" to "recycle material."

The truly desperate can send the disk to someone like On-Track, which has a better-than-average success rate in recovering data from dead disks, even disks that have been subjected to a low-level formatting. I've used their services twice on behalf of clients. It's not cheap, but that's the price to be paid for carelessness.
if the magnetic material is separating from the disk on your hard drive in any conditions you have been buying even poorer quality hard drives than I.

John Hasler
Posts: 1230
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:05 pm
Location: Elmwood, Wisconsin

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by John Hasler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:18 pm

I agree. I have scrapped out numerous disk drives ranging from old 14" head-per-track drives to modern 3.5" inchers (the old ones have more useful parts) and have left the disks out in my unheated shop at below zero temperatures (some got left outside in the rain and snow). I've never seen the coating show any sign of separation.

User avatar
SteveHGraham
Posts: 7481
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by SteveHGraham » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm

I have owned plenty of PC's. None ever came with a warning saying I couldn't use them in cold weather.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

User avatar
NP317
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by NP317 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:38 pm

SteveHGraham wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm
I have owned plenty of PC's. None ever came with a warning saying I couldn't use them in cold weather.
They just run slower...
~RN

User avatar
warmstrong1955
Posts: 3262
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm
Location: Northern Nevada

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by warmstrong1955 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 pm

They work fine at -30 F.
Had one in a shop, and another in a warehouse in Alaska. Shop was only heated if it was needed to be, as most of the repair work was done underground. The warehouse was mostly just for storage of larger components, and was never heated.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

User avatar
NP317
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm
Location: Northern Oregon

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by NP317 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am

All of our home computers have solid state "Hard Drives."
'Higher long-term reliability with no moving parts, and temperatures don't matter anyway.

And my steam locomotives don't have any magnetic surfaces to get damaged...
~RN

rrnut-2
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by rrnut-2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 am

After reading this thread, I realized that I hadn't backed up my computer in over a year and I am doing building a machine with a lot of Solidworks drawings and other paperwork for a customer. The way this project has been going, one step forward, two back, I already have lost Solidworks once, thanks Allen Bradley! I immediately ordered an external hard drive and I am backing the computer now.

Thank you for the heads up.

Jim B

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:12 pm

NP317 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am
All of our home computers have solid state "Hard Drives."
'Higher long-term reliability with no moving parts, and temperatures don't matter anyway.
SSDs have their issues, although they are not mechanical ones. Temperatures matter for all electronic devices.
—————————————————————————————————
I'm an old guy. What's your excuse? ☻

Post Reply