The bitter wind

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

The bitter wind

Post by spro »

It was 60 and now we get a taste of what others have been dealing with. Tons of ice and snow on their roofs and damages. We get a whiff and the groundhog was right. General winter isn't over. Part of my heart goes out to You in difficult, difficult weather. This taste of cold bitter wind has been a trial with all the snow drifts and ice on you. Normally "hope" would be a word. It will BE without my hope. Strong and enduring people, prepared for a Winter and it is a xxxxxx! I respect you.
duckman903

Re: The bitter wind

Post by duckman903 »

I'd be running around naked in 60° weather, right now in North central Mass. it's 9° with a 10/15 mph wind, HA HA and more snow coming. We only have about 28"/30" of white stuff on the ground, no shoveling for me 48" blower on a sit down tractor.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ha! My 75 yr old neighbor is running his Ford skid steer to find our driveways, the NW Indiana version of a snow shovel. I dont shovel anymore. He is as happy as a ten yr old with a Video game.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

Then with me it's like I want to be elected or something. The Canadian hat really matches my coat. Can't find it. The Russian one is over in the hills. The Chinese is green and no frostbite. It speaks commie to me which is appropriate here.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Not to rub salt in the wounds, but here in Western Washington, we had sunshine and 60° weather today.

Ma nature is really unhappy with someone. It may not be the folks in the East, who will at least have water next summer. Snow pack, here, was reported as low as 4% of normal. We're getting moisture (we're above normal by over an inch), but it's all in the form of rain. No snow for us at our altitude (1,140') thus far this year.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It got down to 48 here last night. It's still a scary 61 degrees with sun, and it's only supposed to hit 73 today.

I'm pretty brave, though.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

I suppose it isn't that it already happened over and over. It is how we react to what is. There is plenty of news about that. I've always looked at tires as a pressure or ground contact to the surface. If the surface is slick, it requires more pressure through a narrower contact than a wider contact. Wipeouts show others think differently or that ice is the same as snow.
spro

Post by spro »

It seems there could have been a really good way of doing this. The wide tires could be deflated and a central band of unbreakable traction placed over them at the center. The tires could be reinflated to not match that band. The traction at the central band matches the narrow ice and the higher crests of snow match the tire.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I had a '65 F350, with 12.00-16.5's on the back. A desert truck....lived all of it's life in Arizona, and didn't really know what snow is.

I moved to Colorado....and couldn't move one morning after backin' outa my driveway in 4" of snow.
I took off the 16.5's, and put on a set of 7.50-16's. No problem....went to work....

With snow....flotation tires never worked well for me....narrow is good.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm familiar with 16.50 . Also remember a loaded truck couldn't make the uphill climb, in two feet of snow without help. I had about a ton in it. I will remember the guy forever who came out and helped me. Between us we had chain and rope and his 4wd Toyota was pulling while we got it out of the rut. He was sliding around to get traction and together the van ascended.
Much good comes out of snow people and it is well to remember, when it is warm.
Edited because it couldn't have been more than two feet. It was higher in the drifts. It packed the front up five feet to over the hood. I was intent on going up. I backed down and did a running start over and over. I didn't want any help. Just became evident I needed it.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Harold_V wrote:Not to rub salt in the wounds, but here in Western Washington, we had sunshine and 60° weather today.

Ma nature is really unhappy with someone. It may not be the folks in the East, who will at least have water next summer. Snow pack, here, was reported as low as 4% of normal. We're getting moisture (we're above normal by over an inch), but it's all in the form of rain. No snow for us at our altitude (1,140') thus far this year.

Harold
Same here, Harold. ..we're having a false spring. The fruit growers are sweating big time, if the trees bud out now it will be a disaster. The snow pack is way down & getting worse by the day. Might be an interesting year in the West.
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

Those who curse the blanket of winter snow will also curse the Summer drought that will occur if we don't have the snow.