Q: What chemical bonds rubber to metal the strongest?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

diyer

Q: What chemical bonds rubber to metal the strongest?

Post by diyer »

First, as per the title topic . . . I have various adhesives in my garage but don't have much time to do the work or the research -- not sure what will bond well. I did a quick Internet search, but as usual, every adhesive brand and product was suggested for anything and everything. So, I was at a loss as to which information was the most accurate -- too much unqualified information -- much of it by show offs without credentials or proven track records.

Over time the rubber came loose. As for the color of the rubber it is black. Its fairly hard but slightly pliable. The rubber is not Viton or Silicone, or Latex, but as to whether it is neoprene, nitrile, Buna or other type I cant say. It is very much like, if not exactly, the general rubber compound that was used in door stoppers, or those thin hammer coverings with the little holes that manufacturers put on fiberglass hammer handles. I suppose many adhesives will bond it, but I need it to endure being constantly pushed. At some point, I would also like to be able to remove the rubber without having to grind, saw, or use a torch -- but ripping it off with a pliers would be acceptable.

EDIT: I discovered after posting this it is Neoprene
Last edited by diyer on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
jcfx

Re: Q: What chemical bonds rubber to metal the strongest?

Post by jcfx »

Part of your problem is identifying what type of rubber the item is made of, some rubbers like Viton and fluoroelastomers do not glue well
I believe there are special adhesives for those, some silicones will bond with acetic acid releasing silicone caulk, whereas latex based
and nitriles do well with contact cement. There are also polyurethane rubbers too and they can either glue well or defy all attempts at gluing.

You don't mention what specifically the item actually is other than what it resembles, it may help in figuring out what will glue it.

My only suggestions since the item needs to "flex" or as you put it pressed on, is Barge cement, its a contact cement used in shoe making
slightly more flexible than Weldwood contact cement. As with any gluing on dissimilar surfaces, surface prep is important for a good bond.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

"Super Glue" will bond some types of rubber to metal.
Don Young
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Take a look at PC-7 epoxy.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
DeMaxx

Post by DeMaxx »

Have you ever used Shoe Goo?
It pretty much glues anything to anything.
http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Shoe Goo is great stuff, if you don't need a lot of strength. I was amazed to see that it bonded a cracked polyethylene garbage can well enough to get another year's service out of it. But it's not terribly strong.

I've had good luck with cyanoacrylate "crazy" glue on rubber-to-metal bonds, but in those, the flex was provided by the rubber.

There's a modified-cyanoacrylate adhesive called "Black Max" that is supposed to be especially good for metal-rubber. It's not easy to find, and it's fairly pricey -- I think one of those little tubes costs around $10. But certainly worth trying.
Pete in NJ
diyer

Post by diyer »

jcfx wrote:Part of your problem is identifying what type of rubber the item is made of....
It is Neoprene.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
diyer

Post by diyer »

dly31 wrote:"Super Glue" will bond some types of rubber to metal.
Which type, meth or cyan ?
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
dly31

Post by dly31 »

diyer wrote:
dly31 wrote:"Super Glue" will bond some types of rubber to metal.
Which type, meth or cyan ?
It has been quite a while but I seem to remember that the original cyan glues were used in making O-rings from neoprene stock and there was some discussion that using rubber as a flexible interface between glued metal surfaces would improve the reliability.
Don Young
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Only to mention that fork truck tires are pre molded and pressed on with a rubber cement to keep them from moving around. it is industry standard.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

For my Harley and for the lift with the rubber strips that are "always" coming off, I've used Poly Seam Seal which is a locktite product that I purchase at Home Depot. This is the greatest I have ever used, and I am not kidding when I say I use this product for virtually everything under the sun.
The floorboards on my Harley, have been Poly Seam Sealed about five years ago and have not even begun to peel yet. NO...I do not work for Locktite, it's just a great product. Just give it a shot!
Toolroom