Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Re: Are Engineers the Most Obnoxious People in the Universe?

Post by tornitore45 »

If engineers had no common sense...
The car you drove seized the engine in the middle of a collapsing bridge
The elevator you rode in regularly stops between floors when does not free fall to the Parking Level
Your light bulbs would be dim, be off of flash bright before burning due to grid instability.
You should walk in the middle of the street to avoid debris from collapsing buildings, but then you would be killed by cars with failing brakes.
Water at the tap would be a gamble.
I could go on
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

It is an endless discussion.

But who is to blame?

WE ARE for buying the cheap stuff that does not last nor was it intended to last. It was designed to get our money and sell us add on's or spare parts.

When America stops running to Wal-Mart because the price is cheap and starts demanding a better product we might see some real engineering.

This is not meant to be political in any way but America is addicted to low prices! And then there is the average consumer who really does not know what quality looks like or how to shop for it.

Just sayin'

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When you pay an auto worker the equivalent of $100K per year for doing things a monkey could do, you open the door to foreign competition. Same goes for other industries.

A buddy of mine flew to Mexico to get dental work. Had a great vacation. Got great care. Even with lodging and travel expenses, he came out way ahead.

McDonald's is now working on robot cashiers, to avoid the $15/hour insanity some employees are pushing for. I welcome the robots. The human beings screw up my order more than 50% of the time.

The free market is like gravity. You can fight it, but it always wins sooner or later.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

...and we won't even get into what attorneys charge for their time. :wink:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

GlennW wrote:...and we won't even get into what attorneys charge for their time. :wink:

He he he...... :wink:

Hourly rate for a lawyer is about the same as the hourly rate for a small helicoptor.
Hire a Lawyer....you get a guy.....
Hire the chopper.....you get a pilot, and they throw in the $1,000,000+ machine for free.

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Attorneys are worth it. We go to college for four years. We go to law school for three years. We spend years learning our PROFESSION, not how to turn the same nut on the same bolt 3000 times per day, or how to flip a hamburger.

Try representing yourself some time in a complex case. Good luck with that!
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Mid Day Machining wrote:I have a tee shirt that says "MACHINIST, AN ENGINEER WITH COMMON SENSE".
I'm not an engineer but I have to ask...

Do you routinely wear tee shirts that insult other folks' occupations?

How would you feel about tee shirts that insulted machinists? From what I've seen of the breed, coming up with suitable sentiments should be very easy.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Wow! And Trainman4602 thought that he was opening "OPENING A CAN OF WORMS" :lol:
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

A young friend of mine got pulled over last month, and the police say he took off in the car. Now he has multiple felonies and misdemeanors to deal with. One charge has a mandatory minimum sentence: I believe it's three years. If he gets convicted, he will probably lose his college scholarship, not to mention his right to vote and his right to own firearms.

His free PD probably makes $50,000 per year.

Would you want that person defending you?

Now if you're saying tort lawyers make too much, I'm right there with you. But guess who makes those big awards? Jurors.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, We have an answer to the original question. "Are Engineers the most obnoxious people in the universe?"

Nope, it looks like we are! :wink:

We don't like anyone who is different than us. But then we find out "us" is a mix of people from all walks of life.

If you are here, then you must like metal work or something associated I'm guessing. No one said we all had to like one another, but we can appreciate what each person contributes to the development of our forum.

All in good humor no matter what you do for a living. (you'll live longer)

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Pogo.jpg
:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Talk bout education and careers..

Vanna White had to learn how to smile big, and the WHOLE alphabet...

She makes alot more than I did.

As for rule of law, there are exceptions to every rule.

The one law that you cant argue with is Gravity.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.