Gunsmoke

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Gunsmoke

Post by spro »

I know this is stupid nuts but looking back into the 1950's many things were the same. They spoke the same as we do now, same concepts and underlying themes. I could recount the names of many but there was always the point to secure the town.
Well because in a 30 minute b/w episode, there was a reason. 1955-58 tough and concise. Not all, many. If you don't see the earlier ones you can't quite know the later.
Yeh that sounds insane too. Who has time. I didn't have time either and still don't. Yet James Arness , Amanda Blake, Milburn Stone, Dennis Weaver, Charles Bronson, Lee Van Cleef, and super Jack Elam . Nobody could be the engaging outlaw like Jack Elam. More and more and over and over..should it matter Burt Reynolds, Widmark, Wi.. goes onto glorious women . Gloria Talbot and I think a sister Susan and about the most cool women riding horses and defending themselves and their homes with serious rifles.
I know its nuts but its reach across decades. Really good stuff happened in the '50's :)
Harold_V

Re: Gunsmoke

Post by Harold_V »

Westerns have disappeared from the scene, but they still bring a smile to my face. Gunsmoke, in my opinion, was one of the best. I really like the later episodes, where there was a heavy presence of Ken Curtis (Festus) and Milburn Stone (Doc), and how they interacted with one another.

While not a Western, Barney Miller is one of my favorites from the 70's.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I watch gunsmoke when I see it on tv , but I am a bonanza fan myself .
I think it was a young dawn wells dressed up as an Indian girl that tipped the scales for me .
JackF

Post by JackF »

Amos and Andy was one of my favorites, still is. :D We used to watch them on you tube.

Jack.
spro

Post by spro »

I caught a later Gunsmoke today and whatever. One thing stood out in the town shots was the gunsmith shop. For a sign, they had a rifle about 12' long. Don't see that everyday.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

spro,
My uncle Jesse and James Arness were high school classmates here in Minnesota. I love the 50's shows, some from the 60's also. Yancey Derringer, Cades County with Glenn Ford was one of my favorites, Jonny Yuma the Rebel, The Baileys of Balboa, Phil Silvers Show, Branded, and many more.

Anyone remember the name of that trucking show with Claude Akins? Was it Movin On? I think the characters were Will and Sonny.

Lots of good entertainment in those days. Now it's Bachlorette or Big Brother. Barney Miller is great also.

de
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Wife said She did not care what We watched last night. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO We watched Hee Haw. :)
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Ain't nuthin like Roy Clarks banjo pickin! Thank God and Greyhound she's gone.
JackF

Post by JackF »

After school we used to watch Flash Gordon and the little Rascals. Rusty Draper was the host of the show that showed them and he would play a little guitar in between as I recall. :D

Jack.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Sky King with Kirby Grant, Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges lots of good old shows, gotta go Dr. Phil is on!!!!!!!! and then Ellen.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

The Heros and Icons network shows great Western programs. Really enjoy Rawhide (young Eastwood), Maverick (James Garner)
Have Gun Will Travel (Richard Boone), Wagon Train, The Rebel.
AutoDark, pretty sure the Claude Atkins show your thinking of is BJ and the Bear.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
spro

Post by spro »

This has veered off course yet understandable. I was noting one segment of time around 1956 and revolvers. There are other Westerns which I had never seen. "Death Valley Days" based on true events. "Californians" and Tombstone Territory. There are certain ones which are very very good.
I saw the original Hondo with John Wayne, recently. Perhaps I never saw this thru before but there was Ward Bond Frank Mcgraff and others from Wagon Train before that went down. Gotta say about Susan Oliver, dang Claudett and so many beauties who were strong and changed the course, one way or another. Young Kim Darby as a spirited , un impacted , forthright and intent in her revenge. Glenn Campbell battled with her mentally and she did love him. "Notorious thumper" , said Strother Martin about Rooster and she replied equally. True Grit was a true movie on many levels.