Tractor/Cart/Mower Advice

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Tractor/Cart/Mower Advice

Post by spro »

I cannot agree with all of these figures because I don't really know the cumulative worth. This is looking at it from getting a deal here and another there and hauling and fitting everything together. That's a pile of money and knowing you, you're just playing with me. Buying the house/property ? ..a better deal than you said.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The IH 154 is a weak sister on HP, being a flathead design, and they ran forever not having enough power to break anything. I have a 140 offset that is a cultivting tractor, and built in the 70"s with an OHV engine, it has served well here, alt6hough the high stepper makes for some odd hookups. It is why I added the Case compact to the stable as more usefull for mowing with small equipment.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am buying the machines, assuming the seller hasn't chickened out. I accepted his price, so I'm waiting for a reply.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just got back from walking through the house with my dad, and I checked out the tractors. I think someone asked if the tires on the big one were filled. Indeed they are.

The equipment looks good, and the seller threw in an object he called a "three-point hitch," with a pointy thing for lifting hay. In a couple of weeks, I'll be able to run it. Pretty crazy. I sort of look forward to mowing, which is not normal.

The shop is going to be very nice to work in. Really looking forward to the room. I may not need AC. The nights are cooler here than in Coral Gables, and that cools the concrete walls. Also, the shop has a garage door at each end, so the breeze passes through. Seller already has LED's in some of the fluorescent fixtures.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You'll find lots of things to mount on the three-point. At the very least you'll want a carryall and a back blade.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

So let us know, with 8" x 10" photo glossies of course, when you are sitting on the veranda, in your big white wicker rocker....eatin' candy coated cashews....and sippin' orange lemonade.
Maybe your Dad will fan the flies off your eyebrows, although, you may be able to finance a sweet young thing to get 'er done.

:)
Bill

(hope I don't need to explain that)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This is basically the lifestyle I envision.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Should add: the bush hog has some sheet metal damage, but it looks like it's within the scope of my MIG skills.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The "object" is not a 3 point hitch, it mounts on a 3 point hitch. The object is often called a bale spear (or other regional names), most often used for the big round bales, but can be used for smaller ones, though with much less advantage (lifting one or a few 80+lb bales as opposed to one big 400+lb bale, depending on moisture content).

Yeah, that 3 point will become your friend. You may want a "3 point quick hitch", but that brings it's own challenges, all easily addressed with welder and machine equipment. I'm guessing that's a Cat-1 size 3 point, so confirm that then keep it in mind when looking for attachments. You'll also want to look up the weight rating on your specific 3 point. All Cat-1 (size and spacing of pins) attachments are NOT created equal. I didn't bother to look up the limits of my B2150 and was stunned at how limited it was for a tractor of that size. You shouldn't have that problem on an L, which is a much beefier tractor, though not all that much larger in dimension.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the info. I believe he was using it for round bales. He had 14 cattle at one point. I would say "14 head," but with a number as low as 14, it sounds pretentious.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I had a 3710 with a frame-mounted backhoe, quick connect bucket plus a bale-spear and pallet forks. It would grudgingly lift 2,000 lbs. in the loader, just don't get that much weight all the way up. Over the three Kubota tractors I have owned, I lost one hydraulic cylinder and two hydraulic hoses, plus a punctured tire and a few broken lights that were my fault. Everyone of those tractors started when I turned the key every time, no mattewr if it was yesterday or last month I last used it. IIRC I spent somewhat over $20K for one new.

I got rid of all my land and cattle and such, if I were to reverse my life course, you bet Kubota would be what I would buy.

- Wes
spro

Post by spro »

Wes. READ READ above. Oh Wes. Texas . Man oh man.
Sorry I didn't actually say anything but I did. Texas and the times of a child. Years ago my younger brothers made a trip from the east coast to Texas in order to connect with their great friends there. There was a super lake. Lake Waco which unlike most lakes, was a gulley or carved out by seasons long ago. Gee was that nice and there were homes at the top edges about 200' above the water level.
No place as Texas. Waco before the notoriety, sweet and sweet again.