Texas and destruction

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Texas and destruction

Post by spro »

This is serious. No way can we be silent about this. Many members in Texas who have suffered. We may hear from them later and only if they know we cared about them. "Not as Bad", still terrible. It isn't over.
curtis cutter

Re: Texas and destruction

Post by curtis cutter »

Our community flooded 10 years ago under about 10 feet of water. It took years for many people to recover and some unfortunately never did.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
spro

Post by spro »

I sort of grew up in Texas. Let's say my first car and growing to that point. Dad was away and time to figure stuff out, on my own. He was telling me about mixture and needle valves and throttle adjustments .. many things which could befall Mom .. stuff. It all comes together and have Texas memory when you are staring at that engine. Stuff came back with trial and error but it didn't take a sledge hammer. Soft Blow maybe. Ever seen your Mom cry? Don't. Get it together and immerse yourself to understand what Dad was telling you. Free the horn toads and lizards. Childhood's End (IsaacAsimov) in a slight way because of what was happening.
Anyway, Texas, Deep in the heart O' Texas.
spro

Post by spro »

American Red Cross and I have a neighbor who is probably over there helping. Not all easterners are blind to things, terrible things which happen to other States. We came from there, we know a bit about how things worked. Kansas is different from Virginia as different from Texas and becoming more different. Can't wander there, here. So little yet too much at the razor's edge of expression.
spro

Post by spro »

This catastrophe on Texas will be an imprint on all of us. There is a chemical plant ready to blow soon and that may unleash many more hazards.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Some perspective on the quantity of water:

As of a few days ago, 11 trillion gallons of water fell on Texas

Long Island Sound is 19 trillion gallons.

If all of that water fell on Connecticut, it would be 9-1/2 FEET deep.

It if fell on Manhattan, it would be about 1/3 of a MILE deep (0.35 miles).
The Freedom Tower would be 54 feet under the surface.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

The more they excavate and rebuild, the more they find. Harvey was terrible . The flip side of this are the power techs and first responders. Our Amazing citizens who put their lives on the line to repair the infrastructure.