Something good about Harbor Freight

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Something good about Harbor Freight

Post by BadDog »

Oh, and on that topic, scissors. She's horrible about misplacing scissors. So another great thing from HF are the 99 cent "utility shears". If you don't try to cut something unreasonable and break the plastic handles, they work well and last a long time. When they do break, or get lost, or dull, just open another. At the moment I'm pretty sure there are at least 3 active pairs in our kitchen, enough that I can usually find a pair where they are supposed to be. If not, and a brief search does find a clean pair in the dishwasher or something, I just go to MY stash and open another. 99 cents each, and saves on a lot of aggravation.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

My wife never loses tools, I do. She "borrows" them from the shop and then puts them back into her toolbox in the house! I will buy the HF tools and leave them in strategic places just for her.

Jim B
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Heh! I got tired of looking for m 'cute' micro screw drivers and that kind of stuff, and bought a small tool box with a brass tag with her name on it. It has a couple of normal screwdrivers, a tack hammer and that kind of thing along with a small compliment of wire nails and drywall screws. She happily takes her tools and uses them to touch up her needs without my over watch and is happy for the Independence.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
WJH

Post by WJH »

It seems my wife needs an endless supply of tape measures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

rrnut-2 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:48 pmMy wife never loses tools, I do. She "borrows" them from the shop and then puts them back into her toolbox in the house!
Before we got married, I bought my wife a toolbox and filled it with Craftsman tools.

If I ever had to fix something at her apartment or on her car, I wanted to be sure that I had decent tools.

That toolbox is in the pantry as the "kitchen" toolbox.

Steve
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I have a 2-ton lift I bought at Pep Boys, which is painted red. Very likely from the same source.

I've used it to lift my LeBlond bed+headstock assembly (no tailstock or compound), and (separately) the two leg castings, and have been very happy with it. But I'd be nervous to test it at its rated 2-ton limit.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Whadya think guys, shall I hunt for a new tire or crowd-fund the entire $3.99 for a new wheel? This one lasted a couple of years on a lawn wagon that rarely had more than 100# in it.
HF tire
HF tire
:lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I have that flatbed lawn wagon for the last 6 years or so. Like all HF pneumatic tires, they were always flat every time I went to use it, which for a while was fairly regularly when I first bought this place. For example, the whole property was years overdue for painting. So I bought a Graco sprayer to make life a bit easier. But that is a bit awkward moving around, particularly with a 5 gal bucket of paint, and a 5 gal bucket of water for cleaning and keeping the gun in while not actively in use, plus other things like masking boards, extensions, trim brushes and cups, and what not. So that became my paint barge making everything easy to move along and around the house, the shop, the shed, and the guest house, as well as back to the shop at night for cleanup and back out the next day of use. Anyway, I got tired of that, so went back to HF and bought 4 of their no-flat foam filled tires. No more problems, and haven't had to air them up again in years, and always ready to haul a Brute garbage can full of yard waste, paint gear, my portable compressor plus nail guns and tool bag, whatever. Handy...

Speaking of that Brute trash can and foam filled tires, I also have their "Big Wheel" hand truck, the yellow one with 13" foam tires. Works great around the yard, and easily hops 4-6" concrete apron edges, steps, and the so on. The Brute used for yard waste is usually move around strapped onto that unless I need to also carry a bunch of cutters and tools as well. My daughter wanted one like it, but apparently the yellow foam filled version, now offering only the blue pneumatic version. Too bad.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I bought some Horror Freight tubeless tires & wheels a while ago. Put two on my pressure washer when i got 'em. Others, went on a resurected hand truck later on.
They all have tubes now. They just leaked faster and faster, until it was too much to stand. One tube cost as much as the tire & wheel....but they hold air.

What's interesting, is I have a HF Bigfoot hand truck, that I put chains & things on and made into a oxy-acetylene cart. Handy....it fits thru the walk in door easily, and maneuvers thru the sand & rocks.
Has to be 15 years old or more, and I do have to air up the tires once or twice a year, (the nature of tires) but they never go completely flat, like the other HF tires did in a few weeks.
And the Bigfoot tires look like Earlgo's picture....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That's it. Big Foot, not Big Wheel. The link below shows what mine looks like, very different from the pneumatic version. I'm glad I got it when I did as it would take over $100 to duplicate it now, seems like I got it on sale with one of the coupons for around $70.
http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8877
It's odd, but you can hardly find an image of that one on Google any more.

I also bought some tubes (off Amazon I think?) for my tires that remain pneumatic. Like on the little garden stool/cart thing I use like a brake service stool working in the dirt. I just recently had to add air for the first time in maybe a year. But it really doesn't need more than about 5psi, and generally works better with lower pressure anyway.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
WJH

Post by WJH »

Any of you ever hear of “Tire Ject”? I’m going to use it on all of my problematic tires.
Ever watch “OneLonelyFarmer” on YouTube? He talks about it.
https://youtu.be/tiq2x2L7UgE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well, let us know how the Tireject works out if you try some. I have tried many different flavors of tire sealers, and have not been impressed with any.
Some barely worked at all.
Others, work well for a while, but their effectiveness wears off with time. 'Slime' worked for very small holes, but after about 6 or 8 months or more, the green stuff was oozing out all over my garage floor. (I tried some on my garden tractor)
Also had some, that caused rust. Major rust. And others, that when you did have to replace the tire, the tires were literally glued to the wheels, requiring several new cuss words in order to remove them.
And with all I have been around, when you had a hole too large for the sealer to seal, it was a pain to clean up & patch.

Looks like the Tireject is easier on the cleanup....I watched the vid, but I think I'll pass for now.

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.