Something good about Harbor Freight

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Something good about Harbor Freight

Post by BadDog »

I have the predecessor (orange) of that folding engine lift, and it's been a good-un. Had everything from a 350 Chevy to a Cummins 6BT swinging from it (and some machine tools and such too), and still doing its job as of last weekend when it pulled out a complete engine/trans/transfer in one piece from my current Suburban Expedition project. But the transmission lift is interesting. I've been kicking around getting one like that myself, and there are some decent looking varieties for less than that, but no idea the quality. I just don't like that you have to start from that height, and have been toying with modifying the engine lift with a pantograph link system to be able to take a transmission AND transfer case from floor level to overhead with tilt-rotate to align. Sure would make my life easier...

Oh, and no HF "good stuff" thread would be complete without mention of the ubiquitous 4.5" angle grinders! I've got a whole row of them, the oldest bought around 2000 and used heavily ever since, haven't lost one yet!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have one of the two ton fold-able hoists, but it's a red one. Not sure when that falls into the age sequence, but I got it about 15 years ago, give or take, and done nothing but use it. It's pulled several engines, transmissions out of tractors, and a whole bunch of hydraulic cylinders....among other things.

I have a couple of those 9-dollar 4-1/2" grinders. I did pack the geardrives full of some good grease. Both were kind of noisy when I got 'em. When I opened 'em up, they had grease in 'em, but I thing it was made out of reconstituted sea-slugs.
One lives with a wire wheel on it, the other a cut-off wheel.

I also have several of their die grinders. I don't change burrs or flappers....I just grab a different grinder ready to go. I've had one fail in 30-something years. The spindle broke off, and headed to the next county.

I have some other HF tools too. There's some of there stuff that ain't Snap-On, but it's plenty good for a home user, or like Mike said, to use once!
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

BadDog wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:38 pm I have the predecessor (orange) of that folding engine lift, and it's been a good-un. Had everything from a 350 Chevy to a Cummins 6BT swinging from it (and some machine tools and such too), and still doing its job as of last weekend when it pulled out a complete engine/trans/transfer in one piece from my current Suburban Expedition project. But the transmission lift is interesting. I've been kicking around getting one like that myself, and there are some decent looking varieties for less than that, but no idea the quality. I just don't like that you have to start from that height, and have been toying with modifying the engine lift with a pantograph link system to be able to take a transmission AND transfer case from floor level to overhead with tilt-rotate to align. Sure would make my life easier...

Oh, and no HF "good stuff" thread would be complete without mention of the ubiquitous 4.5" angle grinders! I've got a whole row of them, the oldest bought around 2000 and used heavily ever since, haven't lost one yet!
As I have a two post lift, not only can I service cars and trucks from below but I have found the trans lift to be invaluable for disconnecting and lowering mower decks. I just place a sheet of plywood on top of the lift (watch the balance though).
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
desertbob

Post by desertbob »

I bought a Harbor Freight horizontal band saw for cutting metal. I beefed up the stand with a few pieces of dexion and it works great. I use it a couple of times a week. On occasions when I cut a one inch steel bar, I can't praise it enough. I've cut items like that by hand in a vise and I sure prefer the HF band saw. Bob
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Harbor Freights better line of rolling floor jacks are the best there is for the money in my book. I got one of the gray 4 ton units and it will do anything car or light truck I need it to do.
Early last year I needed a large gear puller and got to looking online and HF had one with a hand pump hydraulic cylinder on it. I ordered one and it worked fine for what I needed it for and was cheaper than buying a screw type locally.
Things like their bead blasting cabinets you just can't go wrong there for the price they just don't make one big enough yet.
WJH

Post by WJH »

I have their 20 ton shop press, and 1 ton engine hoist. These are two tools that don’t get used often, but when they are needed, they are REALLY needed, and have done the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Here's a good reference on Harbor Freight tools:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=27192

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Regarding the 20-ton press, HF sells a neat pneumatic jack you can install on it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
WJH

Post by WJH »

SteveHGraham wrote:Regarding the 20-ton press, HF sells a neat pneumatic jack you can install on it.
Yes, currently don’t have shop air. My last compressor was bought used for next to nothing and proved to be a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I used the 2 ton cherry picker to load a Bridgeport mill on a trailer.Table removed. It was a good thing I could not have been sitting down for the process as My butt would have taken a bite out of the seat. It was hard work as I did not breathe until it was setting on the trailer.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

"Proud owner of 108 flashlights"

I sware that my wife's hobby is collecting flashlights!

Jim B
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

My wife's hobby appears to be losing flashlights. Some years back I put *my* flashlights away (shop, desk, etc) and forbid her from using them. They are good rugged lights with various useful features and (generally) rechargeable batteries. But it wasn't really done adversarial. I stocked her up with a few so she wouldn't feel excluded (and she understands her "issue"), give her all the "free" flashlights, with a smattering of $9 Amazon Deal of the Day type stuff just so she has some "decent" examples when needed. When she loses them, she has others, and when most/all can't be found, she just has to get motivated and gather them up from where ever she left them. And now I can (almost) always put my hand on a light whenever I need it.

Now if I can just do that for the phones and remotes, and her ------ player, and her Kindle, and her keys,...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper