I Hate Coyotes

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

I Hate Coyotes

Post by SteveHGraham »

I set a trail camera out last night. I picked up coyotes, coons, a fox, and a bunch of crows torturing something to death.

Anyone here know a good way to shoot coyotes at night, without spending $10000 on high tech equipment?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
stephenc

Re: I Hate Coyotes

Post by stephenc »

Live bait and traps .

Don't expect good results any way you try be it hunting or trapping .
Living in Florida without winter weather to put pressure on a coyote and make it hungry .
They are smart and wary ... calling for coyote takes patience and some basic knowledge of habits and behavior . You aren't likely to have any better success at night then you will during the daylight . If it's awake and moving ... it's hungry and hunting .
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't want to trap them because the real point is to get better at hunting. Trapping sounds like a smart idea in terms of efficiency, though.

I found a neat night vision scope on the Internet. Amazing Chinese product which costs $550. It has an infrared flashlight on it to illuminate the game. You can set it to record video when it feels recoil. It saves a certain amount of video before and after you pull the trigger, and you can then upload it to Youtube to amuse your pals.

I found a place in the fence where all sorts of animals come through. I was thinking I'd set up a blind on the ground or in a tree and wait.

People are telling me animals will come to a light. It's legal to hunt coons and coyotes with lights here. I may try that.

I'm going to be the scourge of all the animals here. I'm buying a squirrel feeder. I'm going to set it up across the pasture behind the house. When the season starts, the squirrels will show up for their fix, and I'll plug them with a scoped .17 HMR from the back porch.

I wish we were allowed to hunt bears in Florida. There is poo all over my property.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Best I know is to bait traps/cages with small chickens or rabbits. Coons are a major problem as they will latch onto a chick and pull it apart right through the wire.

I have a 10-22 Ruger since my high school days and if I am around the yard on a set blind I load 22 short subsonics by hand for my sniping. Typical one shot one kill. I use a regular scope, usually set to 3 power and a maglight 3 D cell to illuminate the eyes. Usually a 3 second pause before they turn and run, so practice is paramount. A shooting stick or sandbag is the best, if you can manage it. 50yrds here are a typical distance for the buildings, as I overlook the yard from a deck about 7 ft up. Some burlap or blankets on the railings confuse my image so I look less human and mask movements and sound. Horror fright has movers blankets that work well for this, and we use them for padding everything.These guys are city dwellers here so minor noise doesnt alert them as country kids would. All that is left is a cup of tea and patience. We used to deer hunt my friends farm at dawn from the porch 30 yrds from an apple tree. It didnt seem fair.

I like to stay on the deck so I am shooting into the ground reflection rather than ranging parallel to it, houses ya know. I have to get new springs into my Mod 1100 Stevens dbl 20, that is my fav farm gun. Light and plastic stocks, it is rusty but trusty. I broke a firing pin dry firing it for the thousandth time, and found the springs too rusted to use. Another project on the shelf.

Bears: Bury the gut pile, and use lots of onion and garlic for the roasts. They make good rugs and wall hangers. Did I say I love my animals? Especially with charcoal, sauces and spices.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

PITA = People eating tasty animals!

Jim B
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I started hunting squirrels late in the season, and I played around with tactics and didn't work too hard. In two weeks, I nailed a grand total of 6 squirrels. They fry up nicely, and they taste like chicken thighs, but the meat is sometimes a little tough.

I used a .17 HMR, an air gun (too heavy to aim accurately), and my grandfather's Sweet Sixteen. The shotgun brings them down very easily, but I love shooting rifles.

I don't think I could stand to use live bait, unless I find a source for free poodles.

We have rabbits here, but they must be rare, because the only one I've seen was dead.

I think I'm going to get a Marlin 66 today. I already have a .22 (Remington Nylon 66), but it can't be scoped. Florida only allows .22 rifles and .410 bores for night coon shooting, so I can't use the .17 HMR, which is my favorite gun to shoot. I am told that my air rifle (RWS 54) is powerful enough to kill coons, but I don't believe it. I want to put a night scope on a .22 and send coons to heaven.

I would love to use the .17 HMR for coyotes. It shoots 1 MOA, no problem, so I should be able to get head shots without difficulty.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

If you use bait or a call coyote tend to circle before coming in from down wind .
They almost never come straight in so you have to take a guess where they are going to come in from and plan ahead .
A live tame rabbit along with a call works good ... gives them some thing to smell .
And as a plus .. once your finished hunting tame rabbits are very very tasty
I like squirrels best stewed. .. they can be a bit tough .
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

I hate coyotes also, but not as bad as the 4 timber wolves I saw out my kitchen window last Friday morning. I can exterminate coyotes anytime, anyway I choose but the wolves are protected.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

We have had to resort to live bait in a cage, in the cage because the coons and fox get trained about traps and manage to avoid them, unless overpowered with hunger. In the greater good we save many from predation, but it is heartbreaking to have a coon get into the house and slaughter 30-40 chicks you are working on. Likewise dead birds attract 'possum and skunk rather than coons who prefer live bait. If they have a way in, they will rob you blind on eggs. But thats my homestead.

The neighbor Dennis just bought the biggest turkey on two feet I have ever seen. He intends to breed it with his female for his stock. I dont have the heart to tell him that the larger birds have to be done artificially. It should be interesting how he does this. Anyway, he has defended his place with a high quality air rifle with good success. He is wary of escaping bullets like I am, with many houses within a 1/4 mile range or less. So he is like me in that he has caution for direction. He is more agile and has more problems with the watercourse that runs behind his land, as the varmints follow that path past his dinner bell. He uses cat food and chicken tenders for bait in live traps.

There is evidence that coons try to dig under a trap instead of waltzing right in, experience showing. Coons will latch onto a bird and pull them apart, piece by wing, right through chicken wire. Coyotes, and dogotes will climb a 6 foot fence like its not there and carry off the whole bird leaving nothing behind. The yard cat puts up a real scream when there is a coyote around, and they stay some distance from the house when he makes himself known. If you can stand it, One goose is the best alarm there is. They live 30+ years, and pal with chickens goats and just about any other yard animal, and alert you to anything that comes into his territory. Two geese, not so much, they focus on each other and dont seem as effective. Guinee fowl will debug your place if you have a tick problem, but they are obnoxious noisy. And the only time you will lay hands on them is the day you put them in the yard, and the day they are dead.. They will just be there, making a racket at every move that is made. Trust me.

WE have to defend our charges. Goats, chickens and cats. (cats are indoor except for one hardhead) Without that defense the losses are staggering. What are you defending? Nature enjoys a baalnce in that predators can hunt the woods and swamps for balance. IF you have the only food around for some distance, you become Fort Apache, and get raided accordingly.

We used to have contest on who would get the most BB's in their squirrels from dinner, wild rabbits too. I dont enjoy the butchering anymore, so I get the cultured meats at the custom market now mostly.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am not really defending anything, although a coyote did dig up one of my new blackberry briars and leave a turd in its place.

I hate squirrels on general principles, and I know they will try to destroy anything I plant, so I need no excuse to kill them.

Coyotes have no right to live, especially east of the Mississippi.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

We had a brief raccon infestation last summer. Eliminated them by the simple expedient of discovering and blocking their method of jiggering shell corn out of the gravity box. Once that supply was cut off they went elsewhere. During their reign of terror they knocked over (but did not eat) the cracked corn, the soybean meal, and the prilled oil supplement one of our boarders requires that smells like ice cream. They evidently eat only shell corn. And rats. When they arrived I was battling an infestation of poison-proof rats. The coons exterminated them.

One of our neighbors runs a pack of coon hounds so coons aren't usually a big problem. Everybody shoots coyotes, of course (as well as the guys who hunt them with dogs) so while they are around, they know that coming into a farmyard is lethal. We hear them singing out in the coulees.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... sion+scope

These were developed here in El Paso. One of my buddies did the real world testing on them and I got to do some shooting with it too. An interesting evolution of prototype testing, re-evaluation, 3D printing, re-testing , etc., etc., etc..
Now on the market.

As it says it’s Gen1 NV technology but unless you’re gonna entertain yourself watching alien space battles with Gen4 while you wait for those pesky Coyotes it will do fine.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired