Disinfecting a well

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

DavidF

Re: Disinfecting a well

Post by DavidF »

Chlorine is quite aggressive. It's entirely possible it will destroy the mechanism you proposed, although I'm not speaking from experience.
As with most chemicals, it depends on the concentration.
I would not go blindly dumping gallons of bleach down the well. If you can measure the well depth, and depth to water table you can calculate out the volume in the casing and adjust you dosage to achieve a total cl2 of around 2-3mg/l then look for a free chlorine residual of 1mg/l after 24 hours dependent on the TOC levels (total organic compounds) These levels would be perfectly safe for the plumbing components however multiple treatments may be required before achieving the 1mg/l free chlorine after 24 hours if the demand is high.
Shocking the well (super chlorinating) with about 12 to 15 mg/l cl2 with clear things up a bit quicker but is harder on components.
Think I remember reading that 3% bleach can dissolve brass a a rate of up to .010" per hour while giving off a toxic gas. (have to look up what the gas was but it is listed on the SDS if your really interested)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Since my well casing "breathes" with every cycle of the pump, I thought about attaching a line to the casing vent and adding chlorine that way. If I were to run a hose into an old carburetor float bowl that had bleach in it then it would draw the bleach out of the float bowl with every cycle.
You would be better off using a pulse feeder (metering pump) that is wired to come on when the well pump is energized. The older analog pumps would be ideal for this as they will come on when simply plugged in (IE when voltage is supplied to the well pump). With the addition of a injection quill into the pumps discharge line and contact chamber (to give the required time for disinfection) you would have a treatment system that would do the work for you with out having to dump bleach down the well on a daily basis.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:14 am > We've lived on hills all our lives, and never been damaged by "natural" disasters.

Tornados.
Pretty rare in our area. Maybe one every few years at most (but not unheard of).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

John Hasler wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:14 am > We've lived on hills all our lives, and never been damaged by "natural" disasters.

Tornados.
And we purposely avoid tornado-susceptible regions, too.
We much prefer earthquakes and volcanos...
:D
~RN
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

NP317 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 am

Tornados.
~RN
Indeed... :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

curtis cutter wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am
NP317 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 am

Tornados.
~RN
Indeed... :)
That philosophy has been working quite nicely for the folks in Hawaii! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Hey, Their getting more land out of it-the hard way.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckle! That's what I said to my wife.

H
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Harold was correct. The 8% bleach solution (jug from the store) played havoc on the aluminum overnight. It left the float, needle valve and brass portion unscathed.

Next is to have one of my sons 3D plastic print a "container" that has the volume I need and mount ability of the float and needle valve.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I moved to a farm with wells in August, and this is the first I've heard about disinfection. I hope I don't have leprosy.

I don't understand how my well works. I see electrical wires and pipes, plus a pressure tank, and I hear noises when the pump runs, but I see no pump.

I don't drink the water. It doesn't taste that great, and Florida water is full of limestone, which causes kidney stones.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Your pump is at the bottom of your well. Extremely hard water may increase the frequency of kidney stones in people who are at risk of developing them for other reasons.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John Hasler wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 pm Extremely hard water may increase the frequency of kidney stones in people who are at risk of developing them for other reasons.
Yes, I had noticed that.

Thanks for explaining about the motor.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.