Dog Lover Lament

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Dog Lover Lament

Post by steamin10 »

We are animal people and there is a huge difference in the effort and pedigree of owners. I have a liking for large dogs and have been the partner to 5 Great Danes. One was not counted as he was a wild thing and I could not reach his mind. So he went back to his rescue organization. Titan, an un-named stray was taken out of a pound as aggressive. He was a big guy with a big voice that intimidated the kennel keeper. He learned to charge this little girl when fed, and she reacted. He thought it fun and continued. We signed off on him and got him for free the day he was scheduled to be put down. In order to get him, he had to perform some walkies in a yard and not be aggressive for about 15 minutes during our stay. (4rth trip to see him). He was all about the treats we brought, and that was that. He was with us for 13 years, amazingly old for a Dane. Another, Brutus, was with us for 8 years before he died of heart failure, a common problem with Danes. At one point this pig suffered from gastric rotation, where the stomach flips and twists shut like a balloon. He cost me 1800 in a surgery bill, that i still owed on when he died a year and more later. I was broke, but I asked the Vet to save my buddy, and he did. He offered no guarantee because the condition can cause organs to be damaged from loss of blood flow while compromised. And it did hurt him, he lost almost 20 pounds off his top weight and never regained it. But he was my live buddy for a long while and a joy to share time with. The staff fell in love with him as he had to stay there for 4 days after the surgery t o tend the IV's and such. It was a near thing for him. When I left to work afternoons for the day he would cry so piteously it would break your heart. They really took care of him, and kept him company, during his ordeal. Over time, I didnt care about the money. I had my house, my wood burner, and my dog to see me through a bitter divorce. It was enough.

I have a pair of Shelties now, brother and sister, one litter apart. Now in their 6th year with us, they fit into the rhythm of our life. Our next door neighbor have a cur that has no shelter, or home, and is chained outside, and barks like an idiot at every move and rustle. Typically a free dog, it wont receive care for fleas or heartworm, or most anything else for that matter. So I expect it wont be around all that long. It is those kind of owners that should not have children either. IMHO. They have a toddler and a babe in arms. In my eyes they are out of focus and should get better for themselves before taking on any expense like that. But I understand the human need to be important too, and sometimes talking to a dog is the best you can have for the day. Depends on the dog. LOL.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Most of the "bad dogs" are the result of bad owners. I never met a did I did not like or he did not like me. Both mi neighbors have small hypersensitive, bark at everything dogs. When I visit I extend my hand, they sniff it and quite down.
I prefer full size dogs of the working type, hunting or sheepherder. Our 2 dogs are about 6 years apart, when the older dies we get a puppy and they seem to bond, the older training the puppy. Is something to see, the older dog gently putting a stop at the puppy badgering after enduring pouncing an ears nibbling for a long time.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, hope it all ends well.

I heard of a coworker's daughter's rabbit that got sick. $800 vet bill, and they are far less useful than just about any dog.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Re: Dog Lover Lament Update

Post by John Evans »

Well Rex II seems to be well on his way to a full recovery ,cough pretty much gone and eating well. I thought Rex I was a affectionate loving dog , I think this guy has him beat lots of tail wagging and loves to be petted and fussed over and sticks to me like glue.
www.chaski.com
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

He must know you care.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just as a follow up, the neighbor withthe barky cur is now without a dog. Teh poor thing was allowed to stay outside all the time and one morning the brass sail clip for the collar is broken. The dog is missing and did not return. So my prediction of poor care was sage. Dogs know where the food is and will hover at home, and have done so for time immortal.. It is probable that a stray dog around here gets shot by the hill billies that dont care much for social graces. We have deer that get poached every year too. Every once in a while a pile of bones indicate one that got away and died on our property. I dont hunt anymore but the last 3 deer I got were with Ford trucks.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That would be Deere hunting I presume?

Your neighbor's dog could have got a whiff of female dog [the correct term is no longer acceptable] hormone and gone off to try his luck.

Someone kept a dog in an open top widowless box near our place. It was a puppy when it went in there, and I believe the poor thing was never out at all until one day, he broke the box and freed himself.

But then he just stood there, waiting for his owner to come incarcerate him again.
Someone [not going to mention any names] spirited him away to the interfering dog rescue women, who sent him to adoption in Germany.

He was an amazingly good natured golden lab.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"Just as a follow up, the neighbor with the barky cur is now without a dog."

How did you break the collar clip?
:lol:
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't criticize people who shoot stray dogs. My grandmother had one that used to spread her garbage all over her yard. She was pushing 90 and had no business picking up garbage over and over. I shot over its head once, and I would have killed it if I had had to. People are more important than dogs.

For all practical purposes, a feral dog is basically the same thing as a coyote.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have a problem with unknown neighbors who let their dogs out in the morning to terrorize the neighborhood, knock over garbage cans, chase cars, poop on your property. If I see them in the act of going after my garbage cans, I shoot them with a BB gun. The sting from a BB is usually enough to dissuade the dog from returning. In extreme situations, I had to actually shoot the dog for killing my geese. I love dogs, but they have to be under control. I won't allow them to become a nuisance to others.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I'm a cat person, but if I had to get a dog, I'd go for a mutt.

Almost all of the purebreds have genetic issues. Get a young, mixed-breed pup and have fun!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:20 pmFor all practical purposes, a feral dog is basically the same thing as a coyote.
Or wolf...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"