Thanksgiving Day

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Thanksgiving Day

Post by spro »

Sometimes it is the journey. For family it is worth to see the elders again. We have all changed within short time it seems. Other years there were children and great children and great great children running around. The families have all become to where they are units in themselves. They go to different houses and different states. Man can you believe how near a dozen adults could get into something without those children running interference. It is good because we Thank The Lord it could happen this way.
Best to you and fellow travelers with cameras. Snap in time and it is only a micro chip now. Preserve by other media..too
curtis cutter

Re: Thanksgiving Day

Post by curtis cutter »

It is a regular weekly event that four of our generations (18 in all) get together for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

We are blessed that our last living parent, all our kids as well as grandkids live within 15 miles of us.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I hope everyone has a great holiday. My mother is dead, my dad has dementia, my sister has alienated everyone she knows, I am single, and my other relatives don't invite the Florida contingent to celebrate with them any more. If you still have the kind of Thanksgiving celebrations I used to be part of, you are very blessed.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steve:
You will be with my Family in spirit, this Thanksgiving.
If you were close enough, you would be sitting at our table, too.
Regards,
~RN
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

It is a regular weekly event that four of our generations (18 in all) get together for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

We are blessed that our last living parent, all our kids as well as grandkids live within 15 miles of us.
Awesome and rare these days! The older I get the more I appreciate family. I have lots of fond memories of parents and grandparents that have passed but these good family get togethers are still vivid as ever.

I don't take these days for granted anymore!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks, RN. Very kind of you.

Christmas will be somewhat different. I expect to have friends and their families here, as I did last year.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

The local daughter and her family are going to the inlaw this year. Just the two of us and the dogs. Breaking with tradition we are cooking Osso Buco (veal shank). It took a lot of cajoling to swing the super traditional wife around (figuratively, am not so strong).
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't blame you at all, Mauro. I just finished boning a turkey, and tomorrow I have to make stuffing and sew it into the bird. I would much rather have prime rib, which takes about 5 minutes of work.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Steve, sorry to hear of your situation. I've been lucky -- my parents are dead, but I do get along well with my siblings. And my girlfriend has a very welcoming extended family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

It is with a shadow of sadness that I watch the calendar tickoff. I look at my table and there sits chairs empty by time, as I find I am becoming the last man standing. The children dont see, and the grankids dont know. WE have invites and dinners to go to of course, but we no longer host the affairs. We will have dinners on Saturday and Sunday, as most are working in basic steel industry that never shuts down, requiring you to bend and fit the time allowed. We will bring some dish for the table to be ravaged, but life is more than splintered.

I wish for you each to be comfortable in your persuits and such family gatherings as you may form. I am thankful.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Bless you and yours, Big Dave.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Not a thing at all here in Europe, but when I was in the US it was a nice tradition to get the family together; often the only time in the year.

My neighbor made an apple pie he shared with us; but he's Dutch and they don't have thanksgiving either.