Fed up

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

hoppercar

Fed up

Post by hoppercar »

Why is it, you can't get a service man to do anything, or even give you a courtesy call back anymore. ?...I needed an electrician...nobody calls back, last summer, a plumber, nobody calls back......now I have been waiting 3 weeks, for my chimney sweep guy to get me a piece of replacement glass for my fireplace insert, and I havent heard squat. ......
rrnut-2

Re: Fed up

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have the same problem here. This past summer I called the plumber 3 times to get my new split unit heat pump started up and running. No return calls and no show. I wound up buying the tools, called the supplier with questions and got it running myself. At least my heating oil supplier shows up.

Jim B
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Why is it when a friend or family member needs help with something, your there to help, but when you need a helping hand ,everybody disappears or gives you every excuse under the sun why they can't be there. Over the years I've learned how to do everything myself so I don't have to rely on anyone.

Nyle
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Same here, but some of the friends are quick to ask when they need it.

Jim B
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Jeff Lebowski was wrong. The bums won.

Things are not too bad here in northern Florida, but in Miami, tradesmen were hopeless. They get off the boat speaking 2 words of English, and because they're starving, they claim they can do anything. They drive skilled people away, and their work is atrocious. It's nearly impossible to get anyone to do anything right.

As for helping people and getting zip in return, do you own a pickup truck? Buy one, and people you barely know will start asking you to help them move.

My friends are generally helpless and poor. I'm always amazed when anyone does anything for me.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've had identical experiences, resulting in doing pretty much everything myself. That included hanging and finishing the drywall in the house Susan and I built. I called one installer two times, leaving a message. Never did get a call back, so I made the decision to just do it myself. Turned out pretty well, too! Amazing what a guy can do when he's determined.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:03 pmAs for helping people and getting zip in return, do you own a pickup truck? Buy one, and people you barely know will start asking you to help them move.
A woman up here had a bumper sticker on her pickup:
"Yes, it's my truck. No, I won't help you move".

Steve
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Nobody asks me about helping them with my pickup to move anymore. I have alot of excuses.😁

We had a "professional" install our kitchen cabinets about 20 years ago, and we are still dealing with the hack job. So now we try to do everything ourselves.

Jim B
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I wanted a 1" stainless rod bent 90 degrees with a wide curve; took it to a small shop who had a nice bending machine. They said they'd send me a quotation.
I made my own bender, bent it, set it into the wall of my shower, hung the curtain from it, took a shower, and they still hadn't called back.

I needed 350 yards of fence; nice fella, good talker, told me he'd work it all out and get back to me with a price.
After 2 weeks of silence, I ordered the material, pounded 140 posts in with my tractor front loader bucket, pulled the wire, and hammered in 800 fence staples.
4 weeks after I completed the job, he actually did call with a price. he was all angry when I told him I'd already done it myself.
That was in the depth of the 'crisis' in 2009, and there were hundreds of guys looking for work in the area.

I did have a good crew of masonry guys. One of them spoke English, that was why I chose them.
In this case, it's me who's the stupid foreigner that can't speak the national language.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Just yesterday called the hot tub place to fix a small leak.
I am old and achy, the idea of tunneling under the deck and unscrewing hard to reach screw defeats my natural thrift ( you already know I am cheap) into hiring somebody.
The guy answers and asks: Where is the leak? I do not know, probably one of screw fittings. Well take the panel down and see if you can spot it, if can see it we can fix it. Oh, I will do that.

Now if I can see it i can fix it as well. Once I am there I am 49% done, after i tighten with my trusted Channel Lock I am 51% done. I am not going to pay the guy to screw the panel back on, am I?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

Hey Mr Mauro. It .. You are so close . Always now have a buddy or interested neighbor to support ladder and or stuff ;.
KnuckleBarker

Post by KnuckleBarker »

Never understood owning a business and feeling like you can ignore or disrespect your customers. I guess some just work when they have to...