Too cold

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Too cold

Post by spro »

Winter is great and all that. I suppose it is lop sided now. We had intense rainfall earlier. Rain and winds which blew every leaf hangers on, cherry blossom, tarp, twigs...We did have some snow and snow is sort of an insulation. The frigid high wind at temperatures way below freezing is another thing. It penetrates every window, crack, all the stuff which didn't usually matter. I had to adjust my furnace circulator pump down because the return heat was too high. No reason for it to be boiled again. It is just too cold unless the temp setting is reduced. So this snap cold really tests our preparedness. If the rain and wind had come together with these temperatures, it would have been a blizzard. Some folks got it bad and cold was least of it.
spro

Re: Too cold

Post by spro »

I didn't look back at where I parked the car. It was a good spot but when I returned, it was ominous. The trail of water and coolant spoke of some disaster. It led right to my wagon spot but it wasn't from me. Somebody has a big problem with frozen water pump and ensuing damage.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

When I designed my house I planned for a heating system to barely keep up when the outside temp was -50F. It didn't quite keep up when we had a temp of -57 so I feel I did a good job. The -28 we had this past weekend was no problem.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The other day, I got up, looked at the outside thermometer and though "18 degrees, that's not too bad".

Then I noticed the decimal point.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I guess no one wants to hear from Florida. I was waking up on 32-degree nights in a 93-degree bedroom. Turned out a motor that operated a damper on my multi-zone AC system was stuck. When I put the downstairs thermostat on 70, the system heated the upstairs instead.

Apparently, my system is strong enough to provide 93 degrees on freezing nights, so if I decided to incubate eggs in my bedroom in January, I'm ready to go.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

We had to break out our heavy coats and bundle up. Highs down in the low 60s, and nearly got down to freezing a few times at night! It was getting brutal. Luckily weather report says it's warming back up a bit in a few days...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Here in southern Portugal, we've had clear warm sunny days almost all winter.
That probably sounds great to you guys in the cold, but it isn't.
We haven't had serious rain for 2 years. If this goes on, southern Portugal could become uninhabitable.
The lack of occasional solid frost to kill parasites means the native Atlantic pines are dying off.
So enjoy those storms.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Rained like crazy here last year. Annoying. The ground is sandy, so the excess rain doesn't do any good. It just makes life unpleasant while it's falling. Two days after a rain, the ground is dry again.

I wish it were cooler here. I would love an unbroken stretch of 60-degree days.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

liveaboard:
You are 100% correct. We've been chronically short on rain here in the south west US for years, even for desert. And the mild winters have caused explosions in disease carrying mosquitoes, biting gnats, and other pests. The mild winters are our compensation for hell on earth in the summer. But in the last 5-10 years (with 1 exception), it's been too mild for our own good...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Here is Washington it is uh, let me see.... Raining at 42. :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

-8° here Monday night with 12" snow on the flat. Today it is 42 and raining, turning the plowed driveway into ice. Hope it doesn't freeze before it all melts off. If it does, my next trip out with the car will end up in the ditch across the road after a downhill slide. :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

Well, last to first. I hope that doesn't happen to you. All my major wrecks happened due to ice. This little post about it being "too" cold has brought back what "cold" really is. The temperature here is 23* above what it was and rain is forecast. Wish you all well in this perturbing winter.