Angle Grinder Rant

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Angle Grinder Rant

Post by SteveHGraham »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm 1/2" plate with a grinder? Masochism!
Not true. A 6" grinder is faster than a torch.

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I didn't say it wasn't faster; just more painful. Anyway, in that vid they're not cutting plate.

Using my 9" grinder today, a couple of observations;
1; Using at hip height is good. Other possitions not so good.
2; after using for a while, a 9" wheel can be put in your 6" grinder and used again.
3; the big wheel is good for straight lines, the gyro effect helps. not good when you want to change direction or follow a curve.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

How would cutting plate be harder? What's painful here? No welding cart to drag around, no reaching for a second tool to finish the job...it's easier than a torch, and all you lose is a little bit of a cheap cutting disk. Going to swap gas bottles is harder than buying disks.

I have plasma for curves, but this is much more convenient for everything else.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I don't really know why; vibration and noise gets to me on those long cuts. It's hard to keep a big grinder under control for that long.
Often I'm cutting down the center of large plates and that means bending over with the tool.
I've used a grinder when I had no oxygen; doesn't make me happy.
For small pieces, I do like a grinder better.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Of course, cutting a large plate with a grinder is incredibly loud; the plate vibrates and is a huge speaker.
Even where I live now, I have neighbors within 100 yards; they never give me grief about my noisy work [and I reciprocate of course] but long cuts with a grinder in heavy plate just seems unfair.
I used to work in the center of a major city.
At the time, it was tolerated from 9 to 5, but today that's changed.
Too many guys like me I guess.
Work is now banned in the city, except in industrial areas. Small shops all got pushed out.
Now if I need to hammer of grind on my ship there, I work for around 10 minutes and then put the tools away before the cops show up.