Backing up computer files

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by Steggy »

RMinMN wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 amOne trick that I have heard works sometimes is to put the hard drive into the freezer overnight, then reinstall it while still cold.
Old wives' tale. Subjecting the disk to such a temperature extreme will almost certainly cause the magnetic coating on the platters to separate when the disk is spun up. When that happens, the disk will have gone from "failed" to "recycle material."

The truly desperate can send the disk to someone like On-Track, which has a better-than-average success rate in recovering data from dead disks, even disks that have been subjected to a low-level formatting. I've used their services twice on behalf of clients. It's not cheap, but that's the price to be paid for carelessness.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
This is a good example of going outside the parameters of a discussion.
Actually, it isn't. The discussion is about securing one's data. There's little to be said about any backup method that doesn't protect the backup medium from physical damage or theft. At the risk of offending you, to imply otherwise is ignorant.

Almost anyone who can afford to purchase machines and tooling to make things can afford to purchase a UL-listed media safe. Such safes survived the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on September 11, and the media therein was still usable.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

A crashed PC may simply not be able to boot and yet have most files recoverable.
Basically booting from an alternate source and reading the "bad" drive may work.
I am PC user of average literacy and I know I am 10 times more capable to resolve PC issues that the typical knucklehead at the Office Depot store or Geek Squad.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am
SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 am
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
This is a good example of going outside the parameters of a discussion.
Actually, it isn't. The discussion is about securing one's data. There's little to be said about any backup method that doesn't protect the backup medium from physical damage or theft. At the risk of offending you, to imply otherwise is ignorant.

Almost anyone who can afford to purchase machines and tooling to make things can afford to purchase a UL-listed media safe. Such safes survived the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on September 11, and the media therein was still usable.
Thank you for proving my point.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am
RMinMN wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:08 amOne trick that I have heard works sometimes is to put the hard drive into the freezer overnight, then reinstall it while still cold.
Old wives' tale. Subjecting the disk to such a temperature extreme will almost certainly cause the magnetic coating on the platters to separate when the disk is spun up. When that happens, the disk will have gone from "failed" to "recycle material."

The truly desperate can send the disk to someone like On-Track, which has a better-than-average success rate in recovering data from dead disks, even disks that have been subjected to a low-level formatting. I've used their services twice on behalf of clients. It's not cheap, but that's the price to be paid for carelessness.
if the magnetic material is separating from the disk on your hard drive in any conditions you have been buying even poorer quality hard drives than I.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I agree. I have scrapped out numerous disk drives ranging from old 14" head-per-track drives to modern 3.5" inchers (the old ones have more useful parts) and have left the disks out in my unheated shop at below zero temperatures (some got left outside in the rain and snow). I've never seen the coating show any sign of separation.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have owned plenty of PC's. None ever came with a warning saying I couldn't use them in cold weather.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm I have owned plenty of PC's. None ever came with a warning saying I couldn't use them in cold weather.
They just run slower...
~RN
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

They work fine at -30 F.
Had one in a shop, and another in a warehouse in Alaska. Shop was only heated if it was needed to be, as most of the repair work was done underground. The warehouse was mostly just for storage of larger components, and was never heated.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

All of our home computers have solid state "Hard Drives."
'Higher long-term reliability with no moving parts, and temperatures don't matter anyway.

And my steam locomotives don't have any magnetic surfaces to get damaged...
~RN
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

After reading this thread, I realized that I hadn't backed up my computer in over a year and I am doing building a machine with a lot of Solidworks drawings and other paperwork for a customer. The way this project has been going, one step forward, two back, I already have lost Solidworks once, thanks Allen Bradley! I immediately ordered an external hard drive and I am backing the computer now.

Thank you for the heads up.

Jim B
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 amAll of our home computers have solid state "Hard Drives."
'Higher long-term reliability with no moving parts, and temperatures don't matter anyway.
SSDs have their issues, although they are not mechanical ones. Temperatures matter for all electronic devices.