Backing up computer files

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

rudd

Re: Backing up computer files

Post by rudd »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pmYou don't need to clutter your desk with an external drive. Most PC's will let you install extra internal drives.
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
Agreed.

In my business, backups are generated each day to high-capacity magnetic tape, with a separate tape used for each day of the week.

My office used that system for years. Then came the bad news, the tapes were so old they were worn out. We got maybe 1/2 the data off them. We now use a hard disk "cartridge" that fits a device installed on the server. 7 cartridges, 1 for MTWTH and we alternate the Friday cartridge. When we ran out of room, we moved some data to an external HD system, which gets duplicated when we need to clear out the server for more room for new data.
Rick

Post by Rick »

We were having trouble figuring out what to do with all these photos my wife and daughter and myself were taking with our phones. I went searching and found out about NAS (network attached server). They are not very expensive and have many features that are handy , at least for me.
The one I use is a Synology 2 bay (2 redundant hard drives)
Not only do they sync with what ever computers or phones you want they can be accessed from anywhere. I other words your own personal "cloud". So my files are on the NAS (both drives) also on my cad station at home's drive and my cad station at work's drive (for when I need a break and draw train stuff at work). So 4 places, one being off site. If I add or make a change to a drawing it is synced and the drawing I did at work is now available at home or vice versa with out carrying a thumb drive back and forth. As for the Phones all new photos or whatever you want are backed up (synced) and this is taken care of automatically anytime the phone gets on the network.
Just another way to skin the cat but with a little more cost and setup involved.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rudd wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:22 am
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm
SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:18 pmYou don't need to clutter your desk with an external drive. Most PC's will let you install extra internal drives.
Sorry, but that is bad advice.
Agreed.

In my business, backups are generated each day to high-capacity magnetic tape, with a separate tape used for each day of the week.

My office used that system for years. Then came the bad news, the tapes were so old they were worn out. We got maybe 1/2 the data off them. We now use a hard disk "cartridge" that fits a device installed on the server. 7 cartridges, 1 for MTWTH and we alternate the Friday cartridge. When we ran out of room, we moved some data to an external HD system, which gets duplicated when we need to clear out the server for more room for new data.
Tapes are mechanical, so wearout is expected. LTO cartridges have a much longer life expectancy than the older DLT, QIC and DDS types, but aren't infallible. That's why redundancy is so important.

Disk cartridges are good, but fragile compared to tapes. They too will eventually wear out. I have some clients using RDX cartridges for backup, while other prefer LTO tape.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Another IT guy here, now retired. The best practice is certainly to back up to an external hard drive and store it in a separate location away from the risks of fire or theft of the primary computer. NAS as mentioned is a viable option. Windows 10 had a decent backup program built in. The best way to lose data is to back it up onto a USB thumb drive/flash drive. I've seen too many of them fail to consider them a viable backup media. Only use a good quality name brand drive for backup. If you're about to deliberately wipe and rebuild a drive make two separate backups on separate devices first. I knew a computer tech that backed up, wiped, installed a new operating system and the backup drive died while the original drive was being rebuilt.

On Track is a good service but as said, expensive. The last drive I sent to them cost $1600 for data recovery. The user ignored the instructions from the manager to back up the drive. It had the only copy of a revised job quote on it which was worth over $30,000 in additional charges so it was well worth the $1600 to get the data back. Data recovery services need to the the first people to try to recover your data. Once the local office supply, big box electronics seller or your brother's kid that's "good with computers" messes with it the professionals might not have much to work with.

Solid state hard drives are fast and don't have the mechanical failure issues of conventional hard drives but they do have a finite number of rewrite cycles before failure. They are just as susceptible to accidental deletion of data as any other medium. I keep my operating system and programs on a SSD for fast boot up and my data on a separate conventional HDD which is backed up regularly and stored separately.