touch screen ghost touch

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

liveaboard

touch screen ghost touch

Post by liveaboard »

I recently bought my first touch screen device; an allegedly 'smart' android phone with extra tough screen for destructive people like me.

It's not my friend yet.
The screen jumps around, reacting to button touches that continue even when I put it down on the table.

Finally, I figured out the problem; finger smudges.
Once or twice, holding the annoying device at just the right angle to the light, I could see tiny sparkles in my oily fingerprints.

Metal.

Touch screens work by sensing the capacitance of your finger. I suspect that minute iron particles in grease create enough capacitance to trigger the thing.
Sure enough, cleaning it with a bit of degreaser stops the ghost.
Now that I [probably] know what the problem is, maybe I can tame the infernal thing.
Touch pads on laptops work the same way but I've never had trouble with them. Then again, I don't use a laptop in the workshop.

Surely I'm not the first machinist to encounter this.
What do you do when your phone rings? Stop work to wash and dry your hands before answering?
Not that I can hear it when a machine is running anyway...

Or maybe my new gizmo is the problem, being too sensitive or something.
RMinMN

Re: touch screen ghost touch

Post by RMinMN »

Set up voicemail and don't bother to answer the phone when you are working. If they want to talk to you, call them back when it is convenient for you, If they won't leave a voicemail maybe they really didn't have anything important like many of the robocalls don't, Your phone should have a record of the caller so you can decide if you want to call them back even if they don't leave a message.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

Either use a knuckle or other "ungreased" body part to operate the screen, or buy a stylus (kind of like a pen that works on touch screens) and keep it handy (and clean).
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

So this happens to you guys too?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've never experienced the issue you describe, using my i-Phones.
I alway use a screen protector over the glass touch screen. Those go on when I purchase the phones.
I do not know if that makes a difference.
And I just wipe my finger on something before using it on the screen.

Most important: I never feel obligated to answer the phone!
Shop Safety First.
RussN
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I put a saver screen on my new "smart" phone. No sensitivity, kept having to pound on the screen. Finally took the add-on screen off over a year ago and no problems since even with shop fingers. The original screen is mar free so it must be really tough.

I do not answer the phone unless convenient - safety first.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've used screen protectors with success. Some of my phones have had super sensitive screens, and the protector helps quiet them too. On my current (Pixel III) I have no protector, and sometimes I swear it reacts without quite touching the screen, or at least below the threshold that I can "feel" it. Took some getting used to, but decided I like that very sensitive screen more than I dislike it. Even with that, a quick swipe of relevant digit tips across a handy shop rag to remove the buildup (but still visibly blackened) from skin has left me with no such problems so far (about a year).

Regarding calls, I use "Do Not Disturb" configured to only ring for numbers in my contacts list. No robo/sales/political/donations/etc problems at all, and as stated, CID history and VM lets me know if I missed some important call. From today, I got a call to confirm a Dr Apt. Noticed the call + VM about an hour later, covered everything I needed and didn't bother me. I also have it configured to not ring (includes all audible notifications) at all when face down, but it still buzzes. That way when I'm on a conference call, I know something happened, but it doesn't interfere and intrude on the call. Works for me, entirely on my terms.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I'll try a screen protector; I think if none of you have experienced this, my screen must be extra sensitive.
Even the faintest smudges seem to set it off. Wiping my fingers isn't enough. Even after washing, if there's grease under the skin it comes out after a couple of hours. With metal particles probably.
I don't want to return it unless I have to.
Such a pain...

I get maybe 4 calls a week, so I'm not averse to answering unless I'm driving.
Today the delivery guy with my car parts called, trying to find my house. If I hadn't answered, it might have gone back to Germany.

Luckily he called while I was quietly centering something in the 4-jaw, and I could hear the pathetic little ringy dingy of the thingy.