Frustration...

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Frustration...

Post by spro »

lol. I think the branches need a good shaking at times. All kinds of ding a lots, bad things come off them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

NP317 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 pm You really should consider a more robust design...
RussN
Change the 1" square tube for solid maybe?
The glass is 5mm and backed with a 5mm steel plate.
glass foam steel.jpg
spro wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:04 am lol. I think the branches need a good shaking at times. All kinds of ding a lots, bad things come off them.
In my case, mostly oranges.
Some other fruit; but mostly just oranges.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Just in case my comments were too dry, I was joking!
((-;
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Figured you were. Those mirrors are quite robust. Nice job!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes and I love oranges. They are true gifts to mankind.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks guys.
The tractor is sort of a hobby on rather large wheels.
spro

Post by spro »

The smaller oranges are called "Halos" over here. They are delightful gems grown in California. During off season, they were from Ecuador or South America. Sad because they were bitter and hard. They traveled a long way to get here, so it is understandable.
spro

Post by spro »

The topic came from spray nozzles thru tractors to bitter oranges. I enjoyed every bit of it. Didn't mention " bag worms" . There is always something to kill the "evergreens" too. Really tall ones with choking vines sucking the life out of them, mixed with poison ivy . Grand trees go down and cause damage to structures, houses. Were it to be they became so tall and did, more serious destruction when they fall. Property requires a good look at the heath of trees surrounding. Envision the reach and the branches of what that weight can lay upon. Branches are good to spread the load but forest doesn't care about that. It is a cycle and going to happen among some trees. Huge Maple trees been there for near forever ( in the childs' memory) yet maybe only 60 years. Stuff loves the maple and cores out the trunk. It continues to grow and throw out the whirlibirds seeds everywhere. it knows it is dieing .
Last edited by Harold_V on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove unacceptable comment
spro

Post by spro »

The immense roots' under structure of trees change the lay of the land or roads. There are reasons roads are washed out or collapse. That one grand dame which hovered above, we drive past...(many many more) they finally had it by windstorm or neglect. It was going to happen.
Jorg50

Post by Jorg50 »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:49 pm
TimTheGrim wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm <snip>
My foreman made my life so miserable, I left 6 weeks later. Go figure.
I had a similar experience. My conclusion is that when a worker outshines leadership, the worker is a threat. Jealousy on the part of the foreman tends to result in badgering of the perceived threat, with the distinct possibility that the worker will take the job from his superior (in his mind). Like you, I moved on. I was unwilling to waste my talent on a job where I was abused.

Strangely, the guy who saved my job when I was in training wasn't threatened by such things. He reveled in his accomplishment by ensuring that upper management knew that I was worth saving. So unlike the guy who gave me cause to move on in the incident, above.

H
This situation happens also when a mechanic is dealing with an engineer, not taking their value away but when it comes to put things in practice is it an issue because a lot of them only know theory and do not have a know how to practice. I had issues with them and the end result was that the job never got done the right way and l was pushed aside, it will probably work not as efficient and maybe in the long will fail. When something is not certain anything can happen. Probably the people that do not how things work live happier, not me.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This situation happens also when a mechanic is dealing with an engineer, not taking their value away but when it comes to put things in practice is it an issue because a lot of them only know theory and do not have a know how to practice.
Mostly true. When my dad took engineering at OSU in the late 20s he had to take machine shop courses, and I have a couple of his text books. We had a lathe and welder in our basement shop when I was 15 on, and I learned how to make things. When I went to engineering school I knew stuff others there had never done. There were a couple of fellow graduates that didn't know the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer. About 5 years in industry I got laid off/downsized and decided to go to a trade school to get more machining experience. That helped me immensely in my later jobs.
In my last years in industry, I had the privilege of mentoring interns for a school semester/quarter. I made sure that we visited at least two of the local machine shops that subcontracted the tooling that the intern and I designed, so that he/she could see how things were made. The owners were more than happy to give them the $50 tour.
Too bad that now the pure sciences are fading from the school curriculae as did the machine shops years ago. I guess SWJ interpretive dance is more important. (Oops sorry, I am getting cranky in my OF years.)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I had the honor of teaching/training Mechanical Engineering students.
One of the main lessons I taught them is that the technical people they worked with could make or break their own Engineering reputations.
So treat them as their teachers, and learn from them to everyone's benefit.
The other lessons I pushed were to NEVER touch someone else's tools, unless they have specific permission(!),
and have your own good measuring devices with you on the job.

I have heard back from former students about how well that worked for them. All parties benefited from the mutual respect.
It's not a difficult approach to take, and surprising that more people don't work with their colleagues that way.

And then there are those people who live by Fear and Pheromones, without thinking of better ways to be.
RussN