Harold!

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

curtis cutter

Re: Harold!

Post by curtis cutter »

Ruth and I wish you the best Harold and a speedy recovery.

Susan, I am aware of the hospital rules there as I have a son at Providence as well for some serious medical issues and his wife is not allowed in the front door. She could only text him till his battery went dead....
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is another email from Harold's wife, Susan, sent out 2:30 AM CDT.

I do not keep such hours and just opened it at 8:15 AM CDT.

Wow. I'm really touched by all the positive responses I've received from family and friends. I know Harold will be too when he reads them tomorrow. I appreciate you posting the information on the forum. I know there are a lot of people there who appreciate Harold, and care about his well-being. It's amazing how many friends you find you have when something like this happens.

Susan
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

By the time I read this Harold has recovered, he is a tough old bird. Welcome back.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Best wishes for a full and hopefully quick recovery.
This sort of thing is really very frightening.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

My regards to Harold too. We have never met as I am about 12000km away in south Africa but his freely given knowledge has improved my life too.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Godspeed your recovery Harold. Stay strong Susan.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, folks, for the good wishes.
I don't mind telling you this has been an interesting experience. I wonder how many people have experienced a stroke and understood that it was what they were experiencing? Not that I knew for sure, but not much else made any sense. I was able to move my right hand only with considerable difficulty, and even then without much control. I have no idea if I was able to speak, as I didn't try. The numbness and inability to move passed within about a minute. It was not a pleasant experience.

When I went to the emergency room, the admitting doctor wondered why I was there. I displayed nothing in the way of loss of function, and could speak much as I always have. The only small marker may have been that I was having a little difficulty when hitting the i letter on the keyboard, picking up the o as well (which still persists, but not as bad), and I discovered I had great difficulty signing my name, although that has been an ongoing deteriorating condition for quite some time, as I have a little arthritis, and I rarely write anymore. I'm used to the keyboard, and touch type (albeit poorly).

I'm doing well, and, with luck, have a few more good days in front of me. My medication has been changed slightly, to ensure that my blood is not thick, but otherwise I should be able to return to normal.

I don't mind telling you that it brought a tear to my eye when I first had to admit that a small portion of my brain had died (in my mind, I don't have enough to spare). That was proven by a CAT scan, followed by an MRI. My heart was monitored for more than 24 hours, my carotid arteries were examined, and an echocardiogram was administered. No real cause for the stroke was determined, in spite of the extended testing. I was heartened to learn that my heart is in reasonably good condition, as my family has its share of heart problems. Watching the echocardiogram was an interesting experience.

I hope to be around for some time to come.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Good news Harold! Now I MUST come visit when you are up to visitors.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold:
I am SO glad you are back with us. A close call. It rattled me to hear you were in the hospital.

My wife had a stoke just over 2 years ago while driving home. Paralyzed on her right side and unable to speak or process her environment, our then new Subaru Outback performed an automatic controlled stop. The air bags never even deployed. Brain surgery 2 days later, and recovery in the hospital. Short story: She walked and talked her way out of the hospital 1 month later, and 2 years later she's 98% recovered and enjoying life to the fullest. We celebrate our good lives every day.

We wish the same enjoyment of life for you.
RussN
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Best wishes Harold and take care. You've made a difference in my world of machining (and perhaps a little more) and I really appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your knowledge and experiences that you so generously share.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hi Harold,
So happy to hear you are out and about.
Karel
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:25 am Best wishes Harold and take care. You've made a difference in my world of machining (and perhaps a little more) and I really appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your knowledge and experiences that you so generously share.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more!

Thank You!!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!