Tactical error....

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Tactical error....

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Ooops. I admit to having done this once, but with a much, much, smaller machine and a much, much, smaller piece of material. In my case the power switch was at the left end of the headstock, which made things, uh, "interesting." (Note sig line and avitar....)

https://youtu.be/C8ZJa2HSkYE
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Re: Tactical error....

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:00 pm Ooops. I admit to having done this once, but with a much, much, smaller machine and a much, much, smaller piece of material. In my case the power switch was at the left end of the headstock, which made things, uh, "interesting." (Note sig line and avitar....)

https://youtu.be/C8ZJa2HSkYE

I, fortunately, have not committed that sin. Bet the boss was none too pleased.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! Looks much like my experience. I had taken a part time job in a small machine shop when I was about 21 years old. I don't remember the details well, but I recall that I had to do some work on a (long) piece of 3/4" mild steel. Amazing how a piece like that can move a machine that weighs a ton or more. I strongly suspect that what you saw in that video was very much like my experience. :oops:

Yeah, this was one of the things in my life that make me cringe. I should have known better-----the same thing I often think about marrying my first wife. The current model seems to be without the same flaws (or she tolerates me much better). We've been together for more than 43 years now.

Thanks, Greg. Things like that serve a very valuable purpose for those who might space it once in a while.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Having the stop lever within arm's reach saved me from this one.
Several times.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Did mine with a 2 ft length of 1/4" dia brass rod in a 12" Atlas. Glad I wasn't leaning on the belt cover. :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

It happen to me too 3/8 drill rod. It beat to shred part of the shelf on the wall.

On a related subject... I put two switches on my table saw, one on each side, so I can safely reach one no matter haw I am feeding the part. The original switch was hidden below the table extension. Now it just act as safety to disable the other two.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Notice how it takes out the tool box atop the guy's rollaway. At least it wasn't a Gerstner.

earlgo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:28 am Did mine with a 2 ft length of 1/4" dia brass rod in a 12" Atlas. Glad I wasn't leaning on the belt cover. :shock:
--earlgo
Same lathe, same stock, but mine was a foot longer. As I mentioned above, the switch was at the headstock end, and the stock was whipping itself against the switch. And the power plug was behind that. I had to run outside and trip the breaker.
tornitore45 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:18 pm ... I put two switches on my table saw, one on each side...
Excellent idea, Tornitore!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My table saw has a relay, and a kill circuit that runs to 3 buttons around the machine. Hitting any of them opens the circuit and deactivates the relay.

Lathe has VFD now, and that also has an emergency stop button. But actually, it's in the wrong place for this event.
Do we have a name?
Stock whip.
No, sounds like something cowboys use...
stock swing.
Sounds like a playground for kids...

Centrifugal runaway
Spinning rod of death
twirly bar
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

liveaboard wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 pm My table saw has a relay, and a kill circuit that runs to 3 buttons around the machine. Hitting any of them opens the circuit and deactivates the relay.

Lathe has VFD now, and that also has an emergency stop button. But actually, it's in the wrong place for this event.
Do we have a name?
Stock whip.
No, sounds like something cowboys use...
stock swing.
Sounds like a playground for kids...

Centrifugal runaway
Spinning rod of death
twirly bar

I'll suggest "dope slap."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I called mine, "OH CRAP!"
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I haven't done that (yet), but I suspect my response would have been substantially less PG...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

BadDog wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:43 pm I haven't done that (yet), but I suspect my response would have been substantially less PG...

Yes. Well... I do sometimes have to talk to my machines. My wife calls it "Navy language."
Greg Lewis, Prop.