Had to evacuate because of forest fire.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Had to evacuate because of forest fire.

Post by Richard_W »

We were rated at level 3 for forest fire danger last Tuesday. Today we are still rated a level 3. Tired and praying for rain, which we should get Tuesday sometime. Missed 4 days of work, but the house is still there. I go about once a day to see if the house is still there. This morning I drove from Vancouver Washington to Molalla through SE Portland on I205 to Oregon city and then to Canby, then Molalla. Smoke was so thick that at times I was driving 15 MPH and thinking I needed to slow down. I haven't seen blue sky for a few days. Haven't really seen the sun either. I could see the Wilhoit fire to the West from the dining room window. Scott's Mill fire to the South and all I could see was a huge cloud of smoke. We had a fire to the East, but don't recall the name of it off hand. Its the one that is threatening Estacada at level 3 right now.

Richard W.
Harold_V

Re: Had to evacuate because of forest fire.

Post by Harold_V »

You're been on my mind, Richard. Very pleased to read that you have, thus far, been spared.
We have a lion's share of smoke here, which likely comes as no surprise. Fortunately, there has been no fire activity in our county of which I am aware, and I'm hoping it remains that way. We're eager to see the promised rain, even if it's light. Should help clear the air for all of us.

If there's a fire in our area, our house and shop don't stand a chance of survival due to the proximity of trees. Coupled with the coronavirus, we live in troubled times.

Thanks for the report. Please keep us advised..

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

When we first came to Portugal 12 years ago, the country was being devastated by huge fires.
They've been burning every year since.
Country roads are now mowed and cleaned 10' on either side. millions and millions spent because it seems there's just no way to stop cigarette butts from exiting car windows and igniting the dry grass.
Last year, new rules were introduced regarding trees and habitations; trees within 50 meters of any habitation have to be thinned so that there is 4 meters between them.
If landowners don't comply, the county can send a crew to do the work, then send the landowner the bill.
Public roads have to be cleared of abutting trees and shrubs to either side too. Old trees that shaded the roads had to be cut down.
It's difficult; our whole lives we've been told about the benefits of trees. They cool our surroundings, the roots let water into the soil, wildlife lives in the foliage, and they sequester carbon.
Now suddenly tree are bad, they burn and kill us.

I hope our US west coast friends get through this unsinged.
And be careful with the smoke, it's very bad.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Hoping for the best for everyone out west! Stay safe Richard!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

On Thursday two members of the Molalla Pacific NW Live Steamers Train Park removed a truck load and trailer load of locomotives and rolling stock from the facility. They said not many train items remain there now. Whew! No word yet on today's conditions at the facility.
So Thank you Chris Brew and John Crouch.

We remain smoked in here in the Hood River Valleys. Cloying air. Stinging eyes and plugged sinuses.
Hoping for the forecast rain later this week. There are major pear and apple harvests needing to be picked now. Problematic.
I'm staying indoors today machining locomotive parts for a Friend.
Stay Safe everyone.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

And to think that much of this could be avoided if the tree-huggers weren't so opposed to a reasonable amount of culling of timber to reduce the amount of fuel available to burn.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Most people believe the firs are set on purpose. I am one of them. One couple had 2 guys set one of their round hay bales on fire in Markum. The guy was going out his driveway and spotted 2 guys starting a hay bale on fire. They go away and he couldn't chse them because he had to put the fire out. I am wanting to go and take a picture of it. A few people have been arrested in Oregon, Washington and California.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

There is always ignition; accidental or intentional.
I've put out a fire started by an arsonist, and several more accidental ones.

The difference now is that there are so many areas is such severe drought, that there are too many fires at once, too big for available resources to extinguish.

Dead trees rot if there's even the slightest moisture present. Bugs eat the wood and it reverts to soil within a few years.
When very dry, the bugs can't eat it. It just lays there, until a fire comes along.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Slightly east of Corvallis here. The AQI has been averaging 400-500 for the last week. Last Tuesday I couldn't see our back fence, maybe 200 feet away. We are staying inside, the house hvac has a merv-13 filter with charcoal so we only get whiffs of smoke. The shop however is going to be a big cleanup. I didn't think there was much ash fall inside it until I looked at a funnel I use for automotive oil changes. Best wishes to all more directly threatened.
John Brock
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Decades of forest mismanagement lets natural fires get out of hand and provides ample opportunity for arsonists.

Best of luck to all of you out on the west coast. Keep us informed as you are able.

Steve
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Looks like we are in for lightning a day before the rain. The smoke is really bad right now.

Richard W.
spro

Post by spro »

I really hope you and yours were not damaged.