Something I wouldn't have imagined

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

earlgo

Something I wouldn't have imagined

Post by earlgo »

20 or so years ago when I stopped casting bullets and reloading I stored stuff in a wooden box in a cabinet in the unheated (later heated) garage. Some of the stuff was smokeless powder in the original cans as well as Lee bullet molds with handles in the original cardboard boxes, and some Lyman molds in an additional wood box. I pulled out the main box to look for a Lee mold and was astonished to see this:
Yikes
Yikes
closeup
closeup
I got rid of the powder the easy way and there was no explosion even though the fake news media would have sworn that it potentially could have taken out a few acres. :P
Fire
Fire
Just a suggestion that 'inventory' like this needs to be checked on periodically.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
rmac

Re: Something I wouldn't have imagined

Post by rmac »

My dad always used to say that the definition of "metal" is "ore waiting to happen". Looks like he was right in this case.

-- Russ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:12 am I got rid of the powder the easy way and there was no explosion even though the fake news media would have sworn that it potentially could have taken out a few acres.
Perhaps, but it's no secret that unless smokeless powder is tightly contained, it doesn't burn very fast, very unlike black powder. It's perfectly safe to burn so long as it's not enclosed.

I'd have made a different choice---I'd have kept the powder unless the container had perforated. I've used smokeless powder that was at least as old as I was (at the time) and had no problems at all.

I'm more than troubled by the recent trend to discredit the news media. Anyone with a modicum of wisdom would see that those news sources have everything to lose by disclosing falsehoods and nothing to gain. They rely on their reputation to generate revenue. Lie to the people and you lose readership. If readership isn't strong, sponsors go away. Our nation has been subjected to a serious disservice of late (endless misinformation), and it needs to come to an end.

As this is highly controversial and is too close to politics, I'm not going to say anything more, and I suspect that others are not going to, either.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

When my dad bought his house in 1963 there was an old refrigerator in there.

When we got a new refrigerator in 66, he tool the old one downstairs and used it to store his gunpowders.

He figured that if there was ever a fire, the insulation would provide some time, much in the way that a fire safe does.

He kept some silica moisture absorbing bags in there, so there was never a rust problem.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My apologies for my out of line comment.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

No problem, earlgo, just want to ensure that the subject doesn't take on a life of its own. Politics are just too divisive to allow discussion. I know, because I'm as outspoken as anyone can be, and my views are not well received by those in the opposing camp.

We all appreciate your understanding.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

I dig a parting tool and all the plunge angles and relief.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks for the info spro. I'll take it into consideration the next time I find a rusty smokeless powder can.
--earlgo
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had a neighbor when I lived in Amsterdam; old hippie guy with long white hair.
He told this story;
"I had a ww2 hand grenade I found in my dad's stuff. Very illegal to have but I sort of liked it. As time passed, along with new stricter laws, I decided it was time to get rid of it before I got in trouble.
"So I went into the police station and told them the truth, and then pulled it out of my pocket and put it on the counter.
Well, there were cops running everywhere, mostly out, alarms blaring, people throwing themselves on the floor while I just stood there.
When there was a moment of quiet, I informed them that everyone knows hand grenades are stored without explosive in them."
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting story---but who can blame those who hit the deck? To my knowledge, there is no way to visually determine if a grenade is charged, or not.
I was not aware that they were stored without explosives. In war time, at what point would they be charged? Seems a bit odd, but then I'm not well versed on war techniques.

H
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That was the story he told; I don't know anything about grenades either.
He had been a protester type when he was younger and expressed some amusement about it all.
He was 65 or so at the time.

I still meet his son when I go to Amsterdam; I'm told the old guy is still well and kicking.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

From the cops' point of view it could have beena grenade that had been armed, thrown, failed to detonate, and was later found. If I'd been on the other side of the room and had seen him pull out a grenade I'd have hit the deck too.

I've never heard of grenades being stored with the charge removed.