youtube ads increasing?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

armscor 1

youtube ads increasing?

Post by armscor 1 »

Frustrated with the ever increasing advertisements.
Don't know if it is my location in the Philippines but I get an ad every 2 or 3 minutes.
Like to know if you are experiencing the same problem in your country?
jcfx

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by jcfx »

Yep, you're not the only one, I guess with quarantines and whatnot YT figured it
was a good time to make some ad dollars,
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

armscor 1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:52 pmFrustrated with the ever increasing advertisements.
Don't know if it is my location in the Philippines but I get an ad every 2 or 3 minutes.
Like to know if you are experiencing the same problem in your country?
The ads are increasing and have become disruptive. I can live with an ad before the start of whatever it is I am watching, but now the snowflakes running Google think it's okay to interrupt in the middle so I can see a politically-correct commercial in which two twinks are making goo-goo eyes at each other. It's like watching television...which is something I seldom do, for the same reason. I preferred Youtube back in the days before Google got its meathooks into it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

jcfx wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:38 pmYep, you're not the only one, I guess with quarantines and whatnot YT figured it was a good time to make some ad dollars,
That's Google who made that decision. A greedy bunch, if there ever was one.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Of course we can get add-free YouTube by paying Google for it.
Never on my watch!
This just pushes me away.
RussN
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:53 am
jcfx wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:38 pmYep, you're not the only one, I guess with quarantines and whatnot YT figured it was a good time to make some ad dollars,
That's Google who made that decision. A greedy bunch, if there ever was one.
You are correct sir.
pete

Post by pete »

Ads? I'm a total computer illiterate, all I did was use the Firefox ad blocker and always use FF as the browser. I never see a single ad and haven't for at least 2-3 years. I still don't pay YT a single dime. Maybe give that a try? I see lot's in the YT comments complaining about the number of ads though. Afaik the FF ad blocker isn't the only one that works, but I know this one does and it's free.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

pete wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:22 am Ads? I'm a total computer illiterate, all I did was use the Firefox ad blocker and always use FF as the browser. I never see a single ad and haven't for at least 2-3 years. I still don't pay YT a single dime. Maybe give that a try? I see lot's in the YT comments complaining about the number of ads though. Afaik the FF ad blocker isn't the only one that works, but I know this one does and it's free.
An ad blocker won't shield you from U-Toobe ads—they are part of the video.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes if you mean sponsorship ads within the actual video content produced by the video poster themselves then that ad blocker won't do it. Going by how the OP worded it I don't think that was what he was talking about though. There's a few home shop guys on YT that have pretty much turned into shills for cheap Banggood low grade tooling I've finally unsubscribed from because of that. That FF ad blocker still allows me to see the number of what would be breaks in the video for YT commercials and some have 10+ or more. Apparently YT has a setting for the video producer where they can allow or disallow excessive commercials also. Some don't know of that option, but any video that irritated me that much I'd just unsubscribe.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:31 pm An ad blocker won't shield you from U-Toobe ads—they are part of the video.
They are not in my experience, the ads in the middle seem to be either google timed or user selected to appear
I would tend to think the former is more likely.

I use a utility called Little Snitch, it tells me if there is any behind the scenes invisible connections when I'm on surfing the web,
with YT I will always get a notice during the video that the browser wants to connect to a different url but same domain on YT.
I can choose to block or allow until quit or make it permanent. Works most of the time, but it can be a whack mole experience with some
videos and sites, I allow ads for good machining content even if it's for lip gloss for pigs :wink:
Geoffm

Post by Geoffm »

I use an extension for Firefox that strips out the YouTube ads and sponser vids on the fly. I can look up what it is later if anyone is interested.
G
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Geoffm wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 pm I use an extension for Firefox that strips out the YouTube ads and sponser vids on the fly. I can look up what it is later if anyone is interested.
G
Please do. I often listen to music on YouTube. They've started interrupting songs mid-coarse for 5 second ads. What a shameless bunch of greedy people they have become.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.