youtube ads increasing?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz

armscor 1
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:12 am
Location: Philippines

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by armscor 1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 am

Unbelievable they interrupt a song with an ad, think there plan is to pay to watch and then insert there ads again.
They know they have a good product and prepared to abuse it.

User avatar
liveaboard
Posts: 1472
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 pm
Location: southern Portugal
Contact:

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by liveaboard » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:23 am

If you want to listen to music without paying or being subjected to ads, you need to steal it properly first.
download it, put it on your drive, and play it from there.

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by rmac » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:03 pm

Harold_V wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:19 pm
Geoffm wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 pm
I use an extension for Firefox that strips out the YouTube ads and sponser vids on the fly. I can look up what it is later if anyone is interested.
G
Please do. I often listen to music on YouTube. They've started interrupting songs mid-coarse for 5 second ads. What a shameless bunch of greedy people they have become.

H
Try Adblock Plus.

-- Russell Mac

Harold_V
Posts: 18840
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by Harold_V » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 am

Thanks! I'll investigate the idea. I'm not very good with computers, so I hope it's not beyond my ability.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by rmac » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 am

Harold_V wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 am
Thanks! I'll investigate the idea. I'm not very good with computers, so I hope it's not beyond my ability.
It won't be. For Firefox, it's a one-click installation directly from their web site. Probably the same for other browsers. I started using it a few days ago and haven't seen a YouTube ad since.

-- Russell Mac

Harold_V
Posts: 18840
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by Harold_V » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Ahhh! So far, so good! After reading your comment, I clicked. I am listening right now, and have not been offended by any stoppages.
If it continues to do what it's reputed to do, I'll make a donation to them. I do that annually for Wikipedia. Good things need to be supported.

Thanks! I appreciate your guidance.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:13 am

Harold_V wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm
...I'll make a donation to them. I do that annually for Wikipedia.
I wouldn't give Wikipedia the time of day, let alone money. The progressives have taken over that site and have started editing articles—especially some biographies—to reflect their dogma. According to them, George Floyd is a candidate for canonization. Whatever neutrality was once present at Wikipedia has vanished.
——————————————————————————————————
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Harold_V
Posts: 18840
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by Harold_V » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:30 am

It is in the best interest of the board that no comments are made that relate to politics.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

LIALLEGHENY
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:36 am
Location: Bohemia, NY

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by LIALLEGHENY » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:28 am

Harold,
I hate to say it but politics has become intermingled in just about every aspect of life in some way or form. I don't like politics, never have, never will but as of recent it's everywhere. Fortunately for the moment it hasn't infiltrated my shop, this board, live steam, etc......but it's bound to rear it's ugly head eventually. Actually it has hit my shop......prices on materials have skyrocketed as a direct result of politics, and the cost of some 3" thick plate for my locomotive project is hurting my wallet! Nuff said!

Nyle

User avatar
BigDumbDinosaur
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 pm
Location: Midwestern United States

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by BigDumbDinosaur » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am

Harold_V wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:30 am
It is in the best interest of the board that no comments are made that relate to politics.
I'm not one to get political around here, for the same reason. I only brought it up because I thought perhaps you weren't aware of what you are supporting when you contribute to Wikipedia.

At one time, I was a prolific author and editor on Wikipedia. Then the progressive edits started and it went downhill from there. I dropped out nearly 10 years ago when it became clear neutrality was deteriorating.
——————————————————————————————————
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

User avatar
rmac
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by rmac » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 am

Harold_V wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm
Good things need to be supported.
The interesting thing here is that the music we all enjoy on YouTube is also a good thing that needs to be supported. For that reason, I was happy to put up with the ads at the beginning and/or the end of the videos. But when they started interrupting the music with ads, in my mind they were no longer delivering an enjoyable product and that's when I started looking around for an ad blocker.

I've noticed since I installed the ad blocker that a couple of the regular (non-YouTube) news sites detect it and pop up a request that you configure the ad blocker to allow the ads on their site to appear. That seems fair to me also--good journalism is another good thing that needs to be supported. You can't expect people to work for free.

-- Russell Mac

Harold_V
Posts: 18840
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:02 pm
Location: Onalaska, WA USA

Re: youtube ads increasing?

Post by Harold_V » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:13 pm

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am
Harold_V wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:30 am
It is in the best interest of the board that no comments are made that relate to politics.
I'm not one to get political around here, for the same reason. I only brought it up because I thought perhaps you weren't aware of what you are supporting when you contribute to Wikipedia.
My interests tend to be non-political, so how that portion of that medium goes isn't of much concern to me. As an example, the information on molten iron isn't political, so even those with which I disagree will agree on such a topic, as it is what it is. I use that medium often to resolve the unknown. For that reason, I support the organization, as I use it often.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Post Reply