Socket head cap screws

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Socket head cap screws

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:28 am
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:14 am
RONALD wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pmThe Cubit was defined as the distance from the edge of your elbow to your longest finger.
Imagine if Wilt Chamberlain had been around when it was decided that's how big a cubit would be. :D
The ark would have been a LOT bigger.

Steve
I saw Chamberlain when he was with the Harlem Globetrotters. I swear the guy's hands were as big as dinner plates. :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

While continuing my project using the #12 screws, I looked in another of my dad's tap boxes and found 4 more #12 taps: 2 #12-24 plug taps and 2 #12-24 spiral point taps marked on the shank 'lock thread'. Then I found a #14-24 plug tap and another marked #14-28. Definitely not the same as the #14-20 that I found at the ACE hardware.
Too bad I can't ask where and why he had them. Oh, and finding #14 screws is an exercise in futility, at least in NE Ohio.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Be happy; all I inherited from my dad was debt.

Ok; to be fair, I did also inherit a set of craftsman metric taps + dies, which were quite good quality.
Unfortunately lost during a continental residence shift.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

earlgo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:14 amOh, and finding #14 screws is an exercise in futility, at least in NE Ohio.
They should be right there on the same shelf with the 1/2-12 bolts.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks Glenn, I never thought to look there for the #14 screws. :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Profkanz

Post by Profkanz »

My South Bend 10K lathe (which is based on the popular 9 inch, uses 12-24 set screws as the gib adjustment and locking screws on the cross slide and the compound rest. The lathe is from the mid 20th century.
Tillies in a Bottle

Post by Tillies in a Bottle »

#12-24 screws are the standard for three things in the door hardware industry: on hinges, on strike plates (the plate with a hole where the lock's bolt enters) and on the mounting screws for rim cylinders. The only two times I've seen Rim cylinders not take a 12-24 screw is with Cylinders by Corbin-Russwin, which are 10-24 and Mul-t-lock which are something metric.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thank you to all who explained where #12 machine screws are used. I admit in 48 years as a mechanical design engineer, I did not know #12 screws were available. I guess they never hit my stream of consciousness. Many thanks again to you who knew.
I have already used them in a project when I made a quill stop for my 8" drill press.
#14s are a whole different story. (Yeah I know they are in the drawer next to the 1/2-12 bolts. :lol: )
--earlgo
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Years ago when I visited the Smithsonian in Washington DC I saw that the replica atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima is held together with socket head bolts.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

RONALD wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm
Originally to start measuring with the Cubit, you first stuck up your arm at the elbow, then extend the second finger, holding all other fingers down!
Isn't what you described also called a 'bird' ?
:wink:
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Cubit! When you demonstrted the way the Cubit was measured in front of students, they were very quick to catch on.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Lee 6 cavity bullet molds use 12-24 screws for the handle pins .
I know I've encountered them elsewhere that is reloading related but exactly where eludes my memory