Next winter's project

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

stephenc

Next winter's project

Post by stephenc »

This is my project for winter , 1949 case sc .
It runs ok and except for the 6v generator everything works as it should .

I don't plan on a restoration , just gonna fix up some minor issues . It has a distributor conversion on it now but I'd like to get the magneto back in working order and on the tractor .
The brakes need some attention , valves adjusted , carb could use some love and the manifold needs a little welding .
Just a few odds and ends , nothing major to do on it .
Attachments
DSC00163.JPG
liveaboard

Re: Next winter's project

Post by liveaboard »

That looks to be in amazing condition; are you going to use it as a tractor?
How are the linkages, steering and 3-point hitch?
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say it's in amazing condition , it's had a coat or two of the wrong color paint in the past . It's actually supposed to be flambau red not the Persian Orange ( allis Chalmers ) it is now .
But it is in good shape , it missed having the case version of a three point hitch by two or three years . The steering and everything is nice and tight still . The biggest flaw with the tractor is the rear tires . They are pretty dry rotten . But they are a common size so if a person was inclined to a decent used set could be found easily enough . Or if money isn't an object New ones aren't to horribly priced .

I don't have any plans on using it , it'll find a new home next spring . I just like to have stuff to tinker around with and I won't have to put any real money into it so it's an affordable time waster .

A person would be surprised at how common it is to find tractors from the mid to late forties in very good condition . Farms were getting bigger and technology was improving . A lot of these smaller tractors had a short working life before being regulated to pulling a wagon around and raking hay when farmers got bigger and better equipment.
Well that and they built things to last back then .
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You have big barns there to store them in too. I guess that's why the bodywork is intact.
Here in Portugal, old machinery is very rare. I don't know if there were so few bought (small farms used mules) or if the weather and lack of shelter killed them.
I have a 1985 tractor I use for lifting and cutting, it was worn out at every pivot and bushing.
My tractor is square and quite ugly; I really like the round style of the really old ones like yours.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

We don't consider them to be really old till you get back into the 1920's and very early 30's . The stubborn guys say single digits or teens to be realy old .

The first tractor I bought to tinker on was a '29 John Deere model d and at the time ( early 90's ) it was still possible to find nos parts at a dealership if you called around and smoozed the parts guy into looking .
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

We bought a much used IH 300U back in the 60's for ~ $1000.

I converted it to 12 volts by adding a resistor in series, the six volt starter really spun at 12 volts but never burned out.

As seen in the photo, it violated IH colors, I painted it green!

Clutch, no power steering, failed brakes, a real beast to run.

In 2012 bought a Kubota all hydrailc L3940, what a pleasure to run!

Sold ye olde IH for $300.
DSCN0018.JPG
DSCN0018 2.JPG
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I have to admit I've been wanting to buy a Kubota tractor for a few years now . A b2601 to be exact . I just can't justify buying one though . Maybe if I had a good excuse to own one other then mowing grass
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I use my tractor for lots of things; mowing, cutting the hedge, lifting anything heavier than a loaf of bread, digging holes and trenches, pulling trees around, pushing trees down, pulling brush away, as a scaffold when house painting...
You're a machinist, get a fixer-upper.

I've been fixing mine for years and I still have some way to go.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I have a small Ford tractor that's about the same size of the small kubota bx.
It mows grass in the summer and I use it for firewood in the fall .
It doesn't have a loader , but then i haven't ever realy needed one i expect it'll keep ticking along as long as I need it to , it's hard to justify replacing it when I've only managed to put around 400 hours on it over nearly 20 years .
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stephenc wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 pm I've only managed to put around 400 hours on it over nearly 20 years .
Chuckle! That's because you don't have a loader.
I use my little Kubota for almost everything, including handling full 55 gallon barrels of heating oil. Don't know what I'd do without it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Become a barrel roller?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have a JD 4200, 28hp, 4wd, with a front end loader. My wife and I use it a lot. To us the tractor would be useless without the front end loader.

Jim B