Heating Basement Shop

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Ron W

Heating Basement Shop

Post by Ron W »

I need a new heat source to replace the wood burner in my 1340 sq.ft. insulated basement shop. Good wood is hard to get and expensive; insurance companies now frown on it for heating. No gas locally so the only choices seem to be oil or electric. Which would be most economical when oil is $.58/liter and electric is $.08/kwh? Full new installation for both.
If I use electric I thought about baseboard where possible and two forced air ceiling mounted heaters where wall space is at premium. Sound reasonable?
Any help I can get to decide will be appreciated.
Thanks
Lee

Re: Heating Basement Shop

Post by Lee »

You have to compare the BTU/hr output. Electricity is cheaper, but oil puts out more heat. So the cheaper electric would end up costing you more in the long run. Of course alot of this depends on how long you will be running the heater and what temperature, and how well insulated your basement is. Another thing to consider is if you are using combustibles in the basement. Even spray paint can explode if the levels are high enough. You should always have a source of fresh air available, but there are those times when you say "A little bit won't hurt.". Electric doesn't have this problem. I would opt for oil myself having had my personal shop set up in my own basement back home. It's a bit more of a hassle to set up, but I think you will be pleased with the results.
I always like to learn, but I don't always like to be taught.
JeffinWI

Post by JeffinWI »

How about a "pellet" stove? They also make stoves that burn shelled corn. Should be able to heat that space on maybe 1/2 bushel of corn a day, and corn is about $2.50 a bushel if you have a good source locally. I believe some are efficient enough to vent through PVC pipe, similar to the high efficiency gas furnaces. Those might be more acceptable to the insurance company.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hey Jeff, kick me will ya'? Why didn't I think of that?? Duh. Yeah, pellet stoves have a forced exhaust so the chimney pipe doesn't get that hot. The stoves set up and running in the store displays have clear silicone on the pipe joints right up to the back of the stove. They use like a 4" pipe. You can also burn corn and cherry pits in them too. This stuff is available through most farm stores. Very clean, and a constant heat. Good call Jeff! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

What about propane with a large tank outside and a truck coming by once in awhile to fill it up? I see that quite a bit in rural areas around here which are not on the natural gas mains. You could later expand on that installation to heat your water and power your backup generator. Maybe even replace your present home heeting source with a gas unit. I know that natural gas and/or propane have less energy for the generator than gasoline, and I know they are jetted differently for furnaces, but I don't know how the costs might shake out in your area. Isn't it ridiculous that corn is cheap enough to burn? No wonder my cousins gave up on farming. Charles
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

"You have to compare the BTU/hr output. Electricity is cheaper, but oil puts out more heat. So the cheaper electric would end up costing you more in the long run."

Now there is a mouthfull, of something! I was with you to this point, "You have to compare the BTU/hr output."
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Between the various fuels and electricity within an hours time. They don't all have the same BTU output. Like, for example, burning a cubic foot of paper for an hour and the same amount of Magnesium for an hour. Or using an oil furnace compared to 2 or 4 or 35 electric heaters. If all fuel and electricity had the same BTU, there wouldn't be much of a selection of heaters or furnaces on the market, and geo-thermal would be pointless.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

One thing to think about is how much time you spend in the shop and where you are working in the shop. If you spend most of your time in just one or two places, you may want to put in some IR overhead heaters where you work just to warm you up or consider using some space heaters to keep your toes warm if you're sitting. SInce you're in a basement, the ambient is probably above freezing all of the time, so your bigger concern may be just getting a little extra heat on your body while you're working.

Another thing to consider would be to use a programmable thermostat on whatever you install so that the heat will fire up a little before you arrive and shut down after you leave.
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Something else might be to keep the place warm enough and low enough in humidity to minimize/eliminate rust. An underground basement wall can sweat or leak and these can be very difficult to fix. Charles
Bill in ont

Post by Bill in ont »

You could try a napoleon oil stove.Requires no electricity and would be great for heat during power outages. Also Toyotomi makes a direct vent oil heater that has afan and thermostat
BillJ

Post by BillJ »

If your shop is insulated and in the basement, most of the heat eventually heats the house, doesn't it? The extra cost might not be all that high in which case you could choose by convenience..
What's your climate? Most of the year I use heat mainly to keep the rust out of my tiny shop (next to the laundry room). Just a few degrees higher than the rest of the basement. A solid fuel stove wouldn't be good at that.
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

This comparison may be helpful to deciding.
http://www.mariomedina.net/metano.php
FUEL TYPE INPUT BTU's OUTPUT BTU's
What kind you buy How much you buy for one dollar How much heat actually gets into your house
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.