Need huge machinery

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

AaronHG

Need huge machinery

Post by AaronHG »

In the So. California area I am looking for really huge geared, clanky, high impact, chattery machinery with the intent of audio recording for use as sound effects. It could be a specific machine or a place with machines. Large gears would be nice. Large to extra large. This might have been easier about 75 years ago huh. Anyone?
nitearc

Re: Need huge machinery

Post by nitearc »

Though I am on the opposite coast and it's not all that large, may I suggest an original Brown &Sharp screw machine in full operating mode, if it's just the audio you want, it will seem HUGE, I assure you.
good luck with your experiment ........ Mike
AaronHG

Post by AaronHG »

Thanks, I've never seen or listened a screw machine before, but there's a few screw shops in the area.
Still looking for ideas!
lathegear

Post by lathegear »

If you are after loud grinding, high impact and chattery noises perhaps a recording of my work car starting up in the morning you interest you [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]!
gregvasale

Post by gregvasale »

a firm that does stamping may be what you want. The sound of the flywheel turning at idle before the cycle is started, and then the sound of the punching itself. An automatic coil fed machine makes quite a variety of sounds. Then, a Big punch press can make sounds that are almost sub sonic
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

The antique boring mill I ran at the railroad would have surely qualified, but it like me is long gone from Iselin shops. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Scott, what kind of weirdo tool or whatever do you have in your bio now???

Unka(Just the facts, sir, just the facts)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

If you save the image to your computer and then open it in a photo edifying program of considerable cost and great complexity and blow it up real big, nearly until the blue becomes yellow, you can't make out a thing.

My guess is that it is a motor driven two handed hamer with extended power prybar. I think the music stand and hedge trimmer attachments (clearly shown on the right side of the hydraulic sparker) are usually extras costing as much as or more than the auto feed and torque convertor options. Well that is what it appears to be when I hold the monitor just right. Maybe I could use a new prescription, too.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
lathegear

Post by lathegear »

Jesse, sorry this took so long to reply to but I have been too busy and have been off the boobtoob II. That I think is a combo hammer/wrench/chisle but I cant tell to well from the little picture and must have deleted it from my hard drive. Memory is frailing. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img] Scott.